Moderator Control Panel ]

GERMAN WW2 UNIFORMS

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

GERMAN WW2 UNIFORMS

Postby stevenhunt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 am

In common with many English families, including our Queen Elizabeth's, my family has German roots.

A couple of weeks ago I visited my very last living German relative, who lives in Stuttgart and she kindly allowed me to re-photograph the photos on her wall of her brother and father. She told me that my cousin was a pilot in the Lufwaffe and he and his father had died in 1942 in Russia.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with German uniforms and decorations would enlighten me regarding what is to be learned from these two photographs. My only observation is that my uncle had been awarded an Iron Cross, if I am not mistaken.

I have entered both names on Ancestry with no success. Are there other places to search for German service personnel.

Thank you, Steven
Attachments
gerhardt988.jpg
gerhardt988.jpg (16.88 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
johannes989.jpg
johannes989.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
stevenhunt

Re: GERMAN WW2 UNIFORMS

Postby brickmaker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

Try ww2talk.com/forum - you will need to register if you want to ask specific questions, but you can browse anonymously first to see if you think it may be a useful site. I have been a member for some time, and have never failed to be surprised at the breadth and depth of information available from members (including German members)
brickmaker

Postby stevenhunt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks Brickmaker - I have looked at ww2talk, and added my question - Now I live in hope. Steven
stevenhunt

Postby g w aldous » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:48 pm

hi steven,
neither of these is a luftwaffe pilot,
the first is a young soldier in the regular german army I cant see any rank.
the second is again army looks like a lieutenant he is wearing 1st WW iron cross 2nd class, military long service medal 25yr plus, hindenburg honour medal, then the WW2 iron cross 2nd class lower down,
no chance of finding a unit off either of them.
hope this helps.
g w aldous

Postby stevenhunt » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi g w aldous, Thanks for the information, it was very helpful.

Hi Brickmaker, Thanks again for suggesting ww2talk.com/forum which led me to some very helpful and knowlegeable people.

I now know far more than when I started.

Steven
stevenhunt

Return to Photo identification