Moderator Control Panel ]

How Lucky You Should Know You Are!

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

How Lucky You Should Know You Are!

Postby afoundling » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 am

I am a total addicted watcher of this programme, how facinating it is to watch the history of ones life come alive. I am someone who has no history and looks likely that I will never find it out. I am a foundling and I must say to all of you who are searching your family trees that I am envious in everyway. Although not upset I am a foundling the lack of being able to know who you are, so to speak, is a gaping hole on occassions. So I get self absorbed in the life and history of everyone elses. Good luck in all your hunting and hope you uncover the most interesting of stories! :D :D
afoundling

Re: How Lucky You Should Know You Are!

Postby phsvm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Afounding - how brave of you to post. I'm sure there are many in your position who wouldn't mention their circumstances.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to have no reference point as to where one came from but I do know that I get enormous enjoyment from researching family history for friends. Their relatives become 'real' people to me and I want to learn all about them, as much as I do about my own ancestors.

I hope you have tried researching other people's trees and that you experience enjoyment from it. If you haven't I would recommend it.
phsvm

Postby afoundling » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Thank you very much for your kind reply. At moment I am so wrapped up in my own search to find what my roots are, that looking at my adoptive family tree is possibly a few years away.
I have had some success as I found a half brother in 2006, who was also a foundling, otherwise I would never have "found" him. The search does continue. :)
afoundling

Postby phsvm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Wow! You've found a blood relative! That must have been so wonderful for you. I hope it brought both of you great joy and a sense of knowing you weren't alone.

As I said in my earlier post, I can't imagine what it must be like no knowing anything about one's background but I hope you had a loving and caring family to raise you.

Good luck with your search. Do keep us posted.
phsvm

Postby biboubelle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:37 pm

afoundling -

Thank you for sharing! I am also a foundling, and I am seeking online connections with other people with similar circumstances. Please send me a private message if you would like to become penpals.

I am currently looking for anyone in my family, or anyone involved with my first few days of life, really. I recently talked to the person who found me, and I'm completely overwhelmed with emotion right now.

Bethany
biboubelle

Postby lizanne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 am

afoundling & biboubelle .
How brave of you to post .
I cannot imagine how it must feel not to know your origins. I get frustrated enough with an illegitimate birth , feeling that there is part of me I will never know.
I am so pleased that you have found a blood relative .
I watched a T.V. program a couple of years ago about foundlings which left me in floods of tears as it was so moving.In that program a two foundlings were found to be sibblings .
I wish you both every success in your search to find your birth families.
lizanne
lizanne

Postby afoundling » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for your lovely post, Lizanne, that programme was about me and my brother as we are the only siblings who are both foundlings in the country and I am greatful every day that I found him. In hundreds of years to come someone will be able to do a family tree of us but at moment the "buck" stops with us. For more information on foundlings go to www.afoundling.co.uk.
Thanks x
afoundling

Postby biboubelle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Thank you lizanne!

Afoundling - WOW! that's amazing that you found each other. you are so lucky.
biboubelle

Postby cfuller » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 am

There are always two sides with knowing who you are and they are not always to work hand in hand with one another.

And most of time, you would really wish to know something that roots you but only be disheartened when you find some not so good stuff about your blood line.

But this is always a good chance to get yourself free of inhibitions that will hold you back. You live, you learn and move on anyway.
cfuller

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat