Moderator Control Panel ]

JK Rowling (17 August)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

JK Rowling (17 August)

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 am

Hi everyone,

JK Rowling casts her magic over this year's series of Who Do You Think You Are? tonight at 9pm on BBC One as the Harry Potter author explores her French connections. As always, we'd love to know what you think, so head this way after the episode has aired to share your thoughts.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: JK Rowling (17 August)

Postby callbrian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Matt,
I believe this to be one of my favourite episodes.
It showed how easy it is to make a mistake in identifying an ancestor. Also showing that having possession of documents is such a bonus, defining both a birthdate and a sample of Louis Valont's handwriting. How lucky someone had the forethought to keep all of the items.
Looking forward to the rest of the series with anticipation.

regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby natdom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 am

Really enjoyed this episode, loved hearing about the French ancestry of |JK Rowling. I have French ancestry also, I have been told that my great great grandfather was in the Franco Prussian war and became a prisoner of war - according to my grandmother he escaped three times, the first two times he was recaptured and the third time he finally escaped. Hopefully I may be able to find some information from the French links that are on the website that were used in the show.
Looking forward to seeing all the other episodes.
Nathalie
natdom

Postby phsvm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:53 pm

I think this has to be the best episode of all the series. What a lovely woman Jo appeared to be and so obviously genuinely moved by all she found out. FInding Louis was buried in a communal grave reminded me of Bruce Forsyth's reaction when he found his ancestor's grave was unmarked.

Two things in particular did strike me. Firstly that documents do exist for the lowly as well as the well to do. It's just a matter of finding them. Obviously the subjects of the programmes have professionals doing the work for them but the documents are there to be found if only we keep looking.

Secondly I'd take issue with the assertion, made during the programme that the fact that the census returns showed Louis and Lizzie living at different addresses indicated they had separated. In my research I have found a couple listed at different addresses (admittedly only a few doors apart in the same street) but they both listed themselves as 'Head' of the household. The wife was living with their children and her husband appeared to be living with his mother. This 'separated' couple went on to have a further 5 children so they can't have been as separated as the census return would lead you to believe!

Louis and Lizzie obviously did go their separate ways but his letters to his family still seemed to show affection for all of them and the fact that Lizzie didn't list herself as 'Head' of the household rather implies that she still considered someone else to hold that position, which presumably was her husband.

Perhaps I'm being pedantic but I do find inaccuracies or blanket statements like this irritating. I know the programme has a wider audience than just those of us who know something about the subject but it still iritates me. A case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing perhaps!
phsvm

Postby colliehouse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 am

Brilliant programme but I'm wondering if the programmes are going to be repeated? The previous series have been shown the next day at 7pm on BBC2 and it would be good if this series is going to be as well. My satellite signal cut out just before the end of the programme grrrrr :x
colliehouse

Postby phsvm » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 am

If you go to the home page here it's available.
phsvm

Postby ritah » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Has anyone else tried to watch the JK Rowling Unseen Footage? I have tried on three occasions but apart from the picture and some music at the beginning and end there is no speech! I emailed Matt Elton yesterday but no response at the time of writing.

Rita
ritah

Postby phsvm » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Yes, I've watched it with no problem. I got to it from the link I was sent to my e-mail account rather than direct from this website. Don't know if that makes any difference.

It's definately worth trying to see if it you can - but have the tissues handy :-(
phsvm

Postby ColinB » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Hello,

Yes I've looked at the footage today without any trouble.

If anyone is interested scotlandspeople are showing a little information about J K Rowling's
Scottish background on their front page at the moment.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Matt Elton » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:39 am

Hi there,

Sorry for not responding on Thursday and Friday about any potential problems with the unseen footage – we were going to press with the next issue and it was all fairly busy in the office! I have to say that I'm not experiencing any problems with the unseen footage, but I'll get our IT guys to look into it on Monday.

Have a great weekend!

Matt
Matt Elton

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011