Moderator Control Panel ]

future shows - and my idea?

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

future shows - and my idea?

Postby Barb Hafslund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:03 am

Hi everyone
I utterly adore WDYTYA - and can't wait for each episode - even the repeats. But a few things do rankle with me, and I wonder if anyone else wonders the same things. I think WDYTYA and Ancestry.com are missing out on something very important. They don't show HOW the information was found.

1. As each celebrity show begins it is almost as if they know everything beforehand. The program flows flawlessly and rehearsed onwards in their search for their ancestors. There is little shown in HOW they have found all the information, and just a few shots of researching on ancestry.com. The impression I get is that researchers have done all the leg work and we get to see the obligatory "famous personality" reaping all the benefits. How many people would fly overseas to follow a "possible" link to their family tree?
2. Nothing is shown regarding the background research - how information was found - was the ancestry.com responsible - nothing really.
3. Why aren't we shown the background research and people finding out this information? I find it kind of annoying that the celebrities just seem to get on a plane ... fly to somewhere... talk to some people like they are magicians and their whole problem is solved.
4. I'd like to see on the shows the actual process these celebrities went through to find their ancestors etc. I'd also like something being shown HOW ancestry.com had helped.
5. When I watch the shows I would like to see HOW the celebrities came to their findings. (Do they actually do anything in their search or do they rely on WDYTYA researchers to do all their work??) In all the programs I've watched, it's a knock on the hotel door and records are being delivered)

And, finally, why do they have to be shows based on celebrities? Why not the common joe blog? Watching another series called "Heir Hunters" was eyeopening to me about how information was found and how fascinating even the common type of folk was.

I will never stop loving WDYTYA..... please don't take me wrong. I would just like to see more of HOW information was found so that others could benefit. I just wish I could take more information from each episode in how to help me in tracing MY family lines.

(please don't throw rocks at me)

Barb Hafslund
Australia
Barb Hafslund

Re: future shows - and my idea?

Postby ColinB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 am

I agree with you to a certain extent but I do think the research element might take over the
program. From what I've seen of your own efforts to find your Grandfather you'd need a whole
series to yourself !

Seriously though , I've seen and enjoyed Heir Hunters myself and the fact that it deals with
ordinary people makes no difference at all - it's the process that's fascinating. However it
never appears at prime time so the schedulers obviously don't think it's 'glossy' enough for
that.

Colin
ColinB

Postby meekhcs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Barb and Colin - two good posts.

I have spent a considerable amount of time and money researching my family tree over the past few years. I have reached the point where I am left with one or two knotty problems that I can't get to the bottom of, but do not feel I can justify the time and money it would take me to pursue them, and so I sit, frustrated, hoping that one of the main websites will publish some records that will help me get to the bottom of them. Hence my "green eyed monster"post concerning June Brown's episode.

I would also like to say, however, that without this marvellous forum I would have even more unsolved problems, and an even greater feeling of frustration!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Barb Hafslund » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Oh Colin ... lol ... you poor thing. You must think you are being haunted by me! As for a whole series to myself? My single query in another forum has taken a life of its own - not me or my family. I've been blown away by the kindness and help extended to me by total strangers.
"Puffing my little chest out proudly" I think I have a pretty awesome family - kind of.
But I do disagree with you about the research element. A number of people I talk to are amazed and intimidated at how the celebs seem to magically get their information. They feel that because the celebs are so famous their backgrounds are so easy to find. Instead of replaying so much already aired information/scenes - why not show some background scenes of the hardworking people who gather the information? I, for one, would enjoy that. Surely, I'm not the only one?
One program in particular sticks in my mind is one about a celeb whose name I can't remember! Hugh Quiresh? He is/was an actor in the Holby medical series? (I mean no offense but our foxtel series are either long repeats or way behind the times here in Australia.)
The research for his family must have been fascinating! For a family that started from slavery and to get where he is now - can you honestly tell me that people wouldn't want to know HOW they got to where they got? No matter which celeb is being aired - I sit with a pad and pen ready to make notes to help my own research.
When you think of Lisa Kudrow and her holocaust family? The one thing that grates with me is how "easy" the program makes the search - when we all know of the difficulties.
And as for TV programming - I think most producers aren't in touch with the wants and needs of everyone and are only interested in viewing ratings. Genie people are making more and more impact on govts and local councils world wide in their bid to save history against the big dollar/pound.
Heir Hunters is a series I've only seen a few programs. LOVED them - they showed the background and tenaciousness that makes for success - and they showed the human element of the present day. BUT! I still feel that both WDYTYA and Heir Hunters could be blended into a successful meld.

ColinB wrote:I agree with you to a certain extent but I do think the research element might take over the
program. From what I've seen of your own efforts to find your Grandfather you'd need a whole
series to yourself !

Seriously though , I've seen and enjoyed Heir Hunters myself and the fact that it deals with
ordinary people makes no difference at all - it's the process that's fascinating. However it
never appears at prime time so the schedulers obviously don't think it's 'glossy' enough for
that.

Colin
Barb Hafslund

Postby Barb Hafslund » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Hiya Sally
I shudder to think how much I've spent over 20yrs *shudder*
I just wish the shows would give a little more feedback on how they found the records .... some of the steps they had to take?
I think the researchers at the back of these shows could become millionaires in their business of finding records!
I'd also like to see/hear someone at the other side of the camera instead of just the celeb. Scenes of them overcome and distressed and yet no one answers them? I find that kind of wierd. The other person at the end of the camera could be the one that orders/arranges records to be found (they are experienced and the celeb is a total dork not knowing what to do?)
In one sense I realise that the celeb is being led and following their lines/prompts. But if there was a researcher with them, this would be far more believable.

Barb Hafslund

I soooo know how you feel!
meekhcs wrote:Barb and Colin - two good posts.

I have spent a considerable amount of time and money researching my family tree over the past few years. I have reached the point where I am left with one or two knotty problems that I can't get to the bottom of, but do not feel I can justify the time and money it would take me to pursue them, and so I sit, frustrated, hoping that one of the main websites will publish some records that will help me get to the bottom of them. Hence my "green eyed monster"post concerning June Brown's episode.

I would also like to say, however, that without this marvellous forum I would have even more unsolved problems, and an even greater feeling of frustration!

Sally
Barb Hafslund

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat