Moderator Control Panel ]

Date of photo & age of subjects

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Date of photo & age of subjects

Postby eurogordi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Help!

This photograph is proving to be a family mystery. If someone can provide an approximate date for the photograph and an estimate of the children's ages, it would help eliminate several possibilities.

Here's hoping!

Photo of Children.jpg
Photo of Children.jpg (127.55 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
eurogordi

Re: Date of photo & age of subjects

Postby kay9747 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:18 pm

The little girl looks to be about 2 and the boy about 9-10 or older. I would guess the date to be somewhere between 1895-1910.
kay9747

Postby eurogordi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:35 am

I agree that the boy is aged about 9/10 and the girl about 2, but the date you have given now confuses me further as my late father-in-law (1916-2011) always said that he was the boy in the photo and that, on the way home, he fell in to the village pond whilts trying to catch frogs and his mother was not too pleased about him causing water damage to the suit.

The problem is, if my father-in-law was correct, the photo needs to be around 1926. Which then poses another problem. Who is the girl in the photograph. Father-in-law always said it was a cousin, but he doesn't seem to have any female cousins younger than him. His older brother fathered his first child in 1928 ... but then my father-in-law would have to be 12.

Admittedly my father-in-law always looked much younger than he actually was. Even before he died at 95 earlier this year he could have easily passed as being 15 or 20 years younger (and did!). But then there is the clothing, which does seem older than the 1920s.

Any further help is still appreciated. On one hand, I don't want to question what I was told by the boy in the photo (who matches other photographs of my father-in-law at a similar age), but the photo still remains something of a mystery.
eurogordi

Postby irnbru1970 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:12 pm

hi there,

are there any photographer details on the reverse?

If so - then you could look up the post office directory of that city / place to see when the photography studio and photographer was active!
irnbru1970

Return to Photo identification