Moderator Control Panel ]

June Brown (10 August)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Re: June Brown (10 August)

Postby Lorna1320 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Pastnida wrote:I also found this episode very interesting BUT I was very disappointed to see June smoking in front of the camera and more than once - I thought that sort of thing just did not happen anymore.

Yes, I must admit I was a bit embarrassed actually when she started smoking. I dont think they should have allowed that - it wasn't really necessary - especially when they actually focused on it at one point. Totally unnecessary. Just a thought - but did any of you think that June Brown was a bit rude and at points uninterested in what the researchers were saying? I still enjoyed the episode despite the faults.
Lorna1320

Postby Lorna1320 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 pm

lori_anne71 wrote:I was so excited about this episode and it was really worth the wait! :D

I myself am from East End Jewish stock and my great grandfather was a famous Jewish boxer in his day, so I felt I really had a connection with this show more than any other I've watched... a lot of the stuff that was spoken about I had learnt myself through my own research, but when it came to finding out about my great great grandparents who moved over to London from Holland, I've always hit a dead end... I'm hoping to get past that hurdle shortly and actually find out if June Brown and I have a lot more in common with our ancestry! :D

Lori this must have been a great episode for you - with so much connection. Do you think the episode will help you to find out more answers for you? I wonder if your Jewish boxer knew June's boxer? How wonderful to have something in common with a celeb. Good luck - keep in touch in the forum with what you find out.
:)
Lorna1320

Postby Emmeline » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:47 am

Lorna1320 wrote:Just a thought - but did any of you think that June Brown was a bit rude and at points uninterested in what the researchers were saying? I still enjoyed the episode despite the faults.

Yes I agree. Several times she appeared to drift off in thought and didn't seem to be listening. She did make me laugh though with her pointed-to-the-point-of-rudeness comments.
Overall, I found it a fascinating history and can't wait for the rest of the series.
Emmeline

Postby ColinB » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:44 am

I found the program really interesting and a great opener for the new series. I'm a bit surprised
by some of the comments about June Brown. I'm sure many of us have experience of elderly relatives
whose attention wanders or who can sometimes be blunt to the point of rudeness . As for the smoking - I have never smoked and I hate it , but June Brown has probably smoked for most of her life - it's part of who she is and I expect it would have been very difficult for her to stop for the
filming. I would rather see someone as they are than some of the overly emotional
'performances' which have featured in previous series.

Colin
ColinB

Postby tapharri » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Terribly disappointed with the June Brown episode. June said she wanted to research her mothers Jewish history, but it was all Isaac Bitton, Isaac Bitton. What about the generations in between him and June?
tapharri

Postby llevy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 pm

I have always been fascinated by my families history and have quite a substantial amount of information.

However when the document was produced regarding the expulsion of Jews from Oran, I couldn't believe my eyes, at the bottom page of the text which was being read out by Michael Britton I could see my mothers maiden name. CANSINO. I was uring him to move down the page to catch what had been written. It said something like the CANSINOS and their ????.

I am aware that the family was a very prominent family in medieval Spain.
If you look in Wikipedia you would see lots of references to the CANSINO family. Incidentally Rita Hayworth was a CANSINO, however, her family had probably converted to Catholic rather than leave the country which was the only alternative if you wanted to stay alive.

Now I need to get a copy of that document, any ideas how?
llevy

Postby meekhcs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:25 pm

I look forward to each new series, and thoroughly enjoyed June Brown's episode. But I must admit to a touch of the green eyed monster everytime the series returns. Oh to have access to the resources put at the disposal of the celebrities!! Having said that I can't wait for JK Rowling's episode!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Emmeline » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:34 pm

meekhcs wrote:I look forward to each new series, and thoroughly enjoyed June Brown's episode. But I must admit to a touch of the green eyed monster everytime the series returns. Oh to have access to the resources put at the disposal of the celebrities!! Having said that I can't wait for JK Rowling's episode!

Sally

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sits there with spasms of envy!! I keep telling myself how much fun it's been discovering it all for myself but.....
Emmeline

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:20 pm

I also thoroughly enjoyed the June Brown story, as it was so full of historical detail, which appeals to me. I felt it was really sensible to be able to 'jump' the generations to get to Isaac immediately. Most people know how to do the preliminary searches and it would have used up a lot of valuable time on the programme. As it was I glanced at the clock which said 9.30pm and loved the fact that there was half an hour left: I had got so deeply into it I thought it was almost coming to the end it had been so compelling. I do agree about the smoking though, totally un-neccesary to show that.

What I would like to see are dates when the subject's tree is on the screen, just to keep in it context and not to have to think what the date was when a 2x great grandparent was born.
If 'ordinary' people were the subject matter it would not be as interesting to the wider audience, so I can understand why it is always famous names which are traced.

I am so looking forward to the other trees being traced and feel that this is a programme which could run year round!

Kay Farndon
KayFarndon

Postby surreylad1980 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi did enjoy the programme.

I do really think it made a differences in June smoking or not really !!.

Is it possible for the show to create a spin off showing all the bits which have not been shown in the one hour programme.

i do think sometimes it feels the programme is rushed, i understand that there must be very hard to seek what information should be put into the programme, sometimes you feel that the programme ended too soon.

Gary
surreylad1980

PreviousNext

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011