Moderator Control Panel ]

Jet Workers of Whitby Issue 51

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Jet Workers of Whitby Issue 51

Postby Loish711 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:04 am

Just read the article on the Jet Workers of Whitby in the latest issue of WDYTYA magazine and found a number of mistakes in it. Firstly John Mendick should read John Nendick (according to Ancestry and the Jet Workers Websites quoted) and he seems to have married a lady called Elizabeth Summergill in 1883 whereas the article said that he's mother in law was Mary Wray? Can the details be checked out as I wished to follow the Wray family as I have friends living in Whitby now called Wray and would like to see if they were related. Elizabeth's parents seem to be Thomas and Sarah Summergill.
Loish711

Re: Jet Workers of Whitby Issue 51

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:28 pm

The marriage of Elizabeth Summergill could have been her second marriage. If this was the case it would have been indexed under her married surname rather than her maiden name.
Alternatively, her mother could have remarried after being widowed, thus becoming Mary Wray.
Or neither of my suggestions could be correct. Another possibility is that either the article or the family tree on Acnestry is incorrect. I will have another look at the article and see if i can get any more ideas on this.
ksouthall

Re: Jet Workers of Whitby Issue 51

Postby Loish711 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Spoke to the writer of the article today and it was in fact John Nendick.I still need to check if it was Elizabeth's second marriage but it doesn't look like it.It was written from a newspaper report so it illustrates that everything you read in the paper isn't true. :lol:
1881 census
Elizabeth Somersgill
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Relation: Daughter
Father's name: Thomas Somersgill
Mother's name: Sarah Somersgill
Where born: Whitby, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Whitby
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street Address: Henrietta St
Marriages Dec 1883 (>99%)
Nendick John Whitby