Moderator Control Panel ]

Just days to go until the series returns...

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Just days to go until the series returns...

Postby Matt Elton » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 am

Hello everyone!

With less than a week to go until Who Do You Think You Are? makes a triumphant return to our TV screens, it's time to look ahead at how we'll be covering the show during its ten-week run. With the series scheduled to be shown every Wednesday at 9pm on BBC One, we'll be adding new content – including exclusive unseen footage and research guides – to our website every Thursday morning. There'll also be full coverage in our free weekly email newsletter (click here to join more than 10,000 fellow family historians).

And, of course, this forum will be the place to be to discuss your thoughts on each episode. We want to know what you think – and we'll be printing some of your comments in each issue of the magazine.

Looking forward to Wednesday already!

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Just days to go until the series returns...

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Hello Matt,
I'm really looking forward to the new series. However as the series starts during the school summer holidays, I may miss one or two episodes. Will each programme be available for more than 1 week on iPlayer for those people who will miss some of the episodes? I think it would be helpful if all the episodes could be available for at least two weeks. What do other people think?
Katherine
ksouthall

Postby phsvm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:24 pm

I see the first person in the series is June Brown.

Shame the tabloid press seem to be leaking information from some of the programmes but still looking forward to them.
phsvm

Postby Emmeline » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:54 pm

I agree with Katherine. I was on holiday last year for the last episode of the series, Alan Cumming, and by the time I got home, it had been taken off iPlayer. I still haven't managed to see a repeat of it and it's the only episode in all the series that I haven't seen. I think 2 weeks would be more appropriate, especially during the summer.
Emmeline

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 am

That's a good question about the availability of episodes on BBC iPlayer. I know that the general limit is a week, although we won't know for definite until the first episode is added on Thursday. One way around this, though, is to download the desktop version of iPlayer – this allows you to save programmes directly onto your computer for a whole month. You can set it up to record the whole series automatically, too.

Hope that helps – but do let me know if you have any more queries!

Have a great weekend,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:04 am

mattelton wrote:That's a good question about the availability of episodes on BBC iPlayer. I know that the general limit is a week, although we won't know for definite until the first episode is added on Thursday. One way around this, though, is to download the desktop version of iPlayer – this allows you to save programmes directly onto your computer for a whole month. You can set it up to record the whole series automatically, too.

Hope that helps – but do let me know if you have any more queries!

Have a great weekend,

Matt

Thanks for this tip Matt. I'll give it a try after next week's episode.

A couple of years ago, we went to Normandy and were able to watch the Martin Freeman episode while we were there so it may even be possible to watch the episodes while I'm away.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby ritah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Another way to watch and keep for ever all of the programmes is through a digital recorder through your television. You can programme this to record the whole series then watch it as often as you like!

Whichever way we all watch it sounds like a great series to come. Roll on Wednesday!

Rita
ritah

Postby mjloveumore » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:09 am

I have WDYTHA set to record on skyplus :D cant wait for the new series seems like its took FOREVER!
mjloveumore

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks for your tips. I could use our video recorder but I don't have SkyPlus so can't record the series that way.
ksouthall

Postby Matt Elton » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 am

Hi there,

I've just had a look over at the BBC iPlayer website, and June Brown's episode will be available to watch online until 19 October. This is really good news, as it looks as if we'll be able to catch up with the whole series for a lot longer this year. June's programme is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b013c44k/

And, of course, we'd love to know what you thought about last night's instalment over on the separate episode thread...

Matt
Matt Elton

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011