Moderator Control Panel ]

Women's Uniform

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Women's Uniform

Postby claireco » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi,

I've seen from previous posts that it's possible to learn quite a lot from army uniforms so I'm hoping someone can tell me anything they can about my nan's army uniform. I only really know that she was in the army, but have very little details on what she did whilst she was there. I've heard she drove ambulances, and also drove cranes (I have a photo of this), would she have had any more duties?

I also have a few photos of the training centre she attended (although I don't know where it is), which are identified by platoon and company. Could someone tell me what a platoon and company is and how I could find out which training centre she attended?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Claire
Attachments
Armynan.jpg
Armynan.jpg (196.87 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
claireco

Re: Women's Uniform

Postby ColinB » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 pm

I don't know much about uniforms but I think she would have been in the ATS ( Auxiliary Territorial
Service ). See the following for a description :

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/au ... ervice.htm

A platoon is a unit of about 30 personnel . About 5 platoons to a company , several companies
to a battalion , several battalions to a regiment.

Colin
ColinB

Postby loiseau22 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:46 pm

She is wearing the single stripe of a lance-corporal on her sleeve.

The badge above her left breast pocket apparently shows the unit she was serving with.
Maybe somebody will be able to recognise it. I can see it's NOT Signals and not Artillery.

Angela
loiseau22

Postby snaphappy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:01 am

The badge shown is that of the R.E.M.E. the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. As Colin says, she would have served in the ATS but would have been assigned to the REME when this photograph was taken.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Return to Photo identification