Moderator Control Panel ]

newspapers

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

newspapers

Postby sjc22 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:50 am

I am planning a visit to Colindale Newspaper library in a couple of weeks but i am wondering if anyone knows of a website that lists the UKs newspapers via region so that i can narrow down the search list once i get there and possibly find more online sources to check before i go.

I am looking for a report of a suspicious death. My ancestor was from deptford, london/kent but was found dead on the railway track of what is now the district line in 1915, but as yet i have not found out anything else. I am also going to Kew to search for inquest details and such. but to have an idea of what newspapers to look for might prove to be very useful and time saving for both me and which ever research assistant i will probably have to keep nagging to help me.

first visit to kew is quite daunting!

Thanks

Sam
sjc22

Re: newspapers

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:27 am

Have a good look at the National Archives website before you go. They have lots of info on there regarding making a visit and it will help you plan your time.
Make sure you have some ID with you as the first thing that will happen when you arrive is that you will be issued with a readers ticket.
THe help desks at Kew are very good. Make these your first port of call after you register and they will immediately point you in the right direction.
Never be afraid to ask, it will save you time,usually there are a lot of knowwledgeable staff around to help you in each section, and they are happy to do so.
It is an amazing place, have fun.
meekhcs

Postby Emmeline » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:23 am

I was looking for information on the murder of one of my relatives and contacted the local Family History Centre in Islington. They were able to give me a list of all the local newspapers published at that time. It may be worth contacting the London Borough of Lewisham's centre and the closest centre to where your relative was found to see if they could do the same.
Emmeline

Postby Sylcec » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:16 am

Sam,
before you venture out to Colindale do read the relevant British Library page: http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/inrrooms/blnewspapers/newscat/newscat.html. I can see that you might have a difficulty if you don't know which titles were circulating in the Deptford area. I agree with Emmeline that you might find it most productive to contact the Local Studies Library for Lewisham.

Also check whether your local library subscribes to the Gale News Vault - which is the combined collections of British newspapers and journals digitised by the Gale-Cengage group. You may be abale to do some searches on-line.
Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby sjc22 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I have done as suggested and contacted not only Leisham local studies area but also Greenwich Heritage Center. and so far i only have one paper to check which is the Kentish Mercury. All the other papers for the area do not cover 1915.

I am hoping to get away with not going to Colindale now. Greenwich hold the newspaper and so if i go there instead i might save myself some time at colindale. lets just hope the gamble pays off.

I have also had a look around the National archives website. I think i am fairly prepared. I have decided on a couple of tasks rather than take lots. but it is still daunting. i have been there once before but unforceen circumstances meant i had to leave after 30 mins.

anyway thanks for the tips

Sam
sjc22

Return to Local history