Moderator Control Panel ]

Identify Uniform

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Identify Uniform

Postby robertauffret » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:03 am

A think this is a photo of my great uncle John Auffret who served in the war with the Royal Irish Rifles
7th Battalion, could some one confirm if the uniform is of the Irish rifles or of the Jersey Militia
Attachments
John Auffret.jpg
John Auffret.jpg (173.15 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
robertauffret

Re: Identify Uniform

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 am

I'm absolutely no expert at this but, since no-one else has said anything yet... Looking at my copy of British Army Cap badges of the First World War (by Shire Publications), the Royal Militia of Jersey have a shield with a St Andrew's diagonal cross behind and crown on top. Your badge doesn't seem to stick out in the corners far enough to have a cross, plus it also has stuff at the base, which the Jersey badge doesn't.

The RIR badge, on the other hand, looks a much better fit - seems to have the right shape in the middle for a harp, something on the top (it should be a crown) and a base for the motto.

There is, however, something that puzzles me - he's wearing a diagonal bandolier, which is something I associate with mounted troops. RIR was infantry. Further, I thought that all Rifles regiments had blackened buttons - you don't want to to be spotted wriggling through the shrubbery. Though there may well be exceptions.

Suggest you try to post this on the Great War Forum http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php? where there are experts there who can tell what a badge looks like in real photos as distinct from books!

Is there anything else to the photo? e.g. boots and spurs?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby robertauffret » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you for reply, i will have to scan the picture again as it did show his footwear so will have to see what you think.

Thanks, Robert
robertauffret

Postby Phanes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:41 am

Can anyone tell me anything about that picture? Year, country, place, ranks or unit?
Attachments
rsz_1image_10.jpg
rsz_1image_10.jpg (107.24 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Phanes

Postby brunes08 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:40 pm

I've had a search around some sites and very little looks like the uniforms in your photo. I looked at countries around the Mediterranean in particular and the nearest I found was pre-1914 French but the trousers were darker. The jackets and caps were similar. The name on the card seems to indicate French too. Not sure if that is helpful or not. You might be better off to put the photo on a forum dedicated to the military.
brunes08

Postby Phanes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Any site or forum suggestions?
Phanes

Return to Photo identification