Moderator Control Panel ]

Identify details in WWI Military Photograph

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Identify details in WWI Military Photograph

Postby junehathotmail.co.uk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Can anyone identify the place, the occasion, the military rank & regiment of the people in the attached photograph or its date?
Photo was taken by Military Photographer F Hughes of Lugershall, Wiltshire. I am looking for Arthur Allsopp & William Thompson of the 8th Battalion, Leics Regiment.

Many thanks.
Attachments
p1-1.jpg
p1-1.jpg (207.53 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
junehathotmail.co.uk

Re: Identify details in WWI Military Photograph

Postby snaphappy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:53 am

I can not say what regiment that the group belonged to but being that the image was taken in a church yard with soldiers lined up on what appears to be both sides of the pathway I would assume that the occassion would be one of two things, either a wedding or a funeral of one of their comrades, myself I woulg go along the lines that they were there for a wedding and that the officers at the front, centre of the picture would be forming a guard of honour for the couple. Date wise it could be before 1917 as that was the year that rank insigina were removed from the cuff area to the shoulder tabs officially.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby mfkirke » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Not a funeral - no black arm bands and altogether too informal an atomsphere and probably not a wedding... I just can't say why - too many of them?

I suggest it is more likely church parade or laying up of colours(that, if you get the regiment, can be dated) or dedication of a memorial

Can you get a better close-up of the cap badge?
mfkirke

Postby detectivec » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:34 pm

I can't tell you the occassion but i think the location maybe Fovant in Wiltshire, transit and training camps were set up in the area and a lot of different regiments were at various times based there and cut their badges into the hillside overlooking the village. the following link might be of interest: http://www.fovantbadges.com/his_det.htm
detectivec

Return to Photo identification