Moderator Control Panel ]

Let us know what you think about the July issue...

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Let us know what you think about the July issue...

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:01 am

Hi everyone,

The July issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine hits the shelves today, and it's a particularly diverse issue this month! From uncovering Liverpool connections to making the most of burial records and poor registers, there's plenty on offer to help you take your research further. But we'd love to know what you think – which features did you particularly enjoy? Was there anything that we could add in future? Have your say here, or email us at WDYTYAeditorial@bbcmagazines.com.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Let us know what you think about the July issue...

Postby larby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:30 pm

I've been a subscriber to the magazine for about 3 months and the July issue is the best I've had yet. It's the first time I've found the CD useful as I have Shropshire ancestors. Page 26 led me to the forum and I've just registered and logged on for the first time. So muchto read and so many people to respond to. Are the days long enough :?:
larby

Postby Denzil Magnus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Actually this is about the June issue and the 'From the Forum' letter entitled 'Nicknames'. I feel obliged to correct the very misleading answer to the letter. Jim, Tom, Bill or Bert are not nicknames they are diminutives i.e. shortened versions of a name. They have been adopted since recorded history to differentiate between people with the same names in small communities or social circles. For example in Roman senatorial classes females were not given a 'first' name. each was called from the family name so the Julii girls were all called Julia. To differentiate between all daughters of the same name they would be referred to by such diminutives as Julie, Julilla, Juju etc.

A nickname is a descriptor of the person so called and again they have been common since recorded histrory began. Again take Roman senatorial familes; they usually adopted or were given a cognomen (nickname). Again take the Julii, one family of the Julii were called Caesar meaning more or less 'hairy' not because they had a good head of hair but because they were notatbly thin on top, including the most famous Julii Gauis Julius Caesar.

The Celts and Germannic races also had a penchant for nicknames such as the famous vikings Ragnar Lodbrog (Hairy-breeks), Onund Treefoot (no prizes for guessing he had a wooden leg) and the salubrious Norwegian King Eystein Fart!!!

David Beckham may well be described by a diminutive as dave but I believe his nickname is Goldenballs.

The history of nicknames is certainly amazing as perhaps is also the history of diminutives.

Regards

Denzil Magnus
Denzil Magnus

Postby Lorna1320 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I love this issue as there is so much this time that actually relates to my Liverpool family! I think you have surpassed yourself this time. I just love these magazines and you put so much information into each issue.

I would love to see a few months covering OCCUPATIONS - really old ones - like a Cordiner for example - about what the occupation was, where in the UK were the majority of the occupation etc - I certainly would find it really interesting.

Well done again for an action packed issue - I can't wait to read it again!!!
Lorna1320

Postby Editor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope you enjoy our new 'Local industries' series Lorna. Any thoughts about local industries that people would like to see covered? Next month we are doing lead mining in the Pennines and then we've got the Whitby jet industry.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby callbrian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi Sarah,
Did Lorna mean a 'Cordwainer' shoemaker or is there such a thing as a 'Cordiner'.
I have found especially in the Dorset area a lot of 'Glovers' as an occupation that seems to be something that was prevalent and maybe mainly pursued at home.
They rural occupation of 'Carter' is also one that crops up and I suppose could cover a multitude of areas.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Editor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:57 pm

A cordiner is the Scottish word for a cordwainer. So basically it's a Scottish shoemaker. Working late on the August issue. It's going to be a corker!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Anita » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:54 pm

I'd love to give you feedback but my copy has not arrived. As a subscriber, who do I contact to get my copy re-sent? This is the first time this has happened and I've been a subscriber for a few years now. So obviously I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms ;)
Anita

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 am

Hi Anita,

Really sorry to hear that you've not yet received your issue – if you could email your postal address and subscriber number (if you have it to hand) to me at mattelton@bbcmagazines.com, I'll look into it for you. Alternatively, if you'd rather, you can call our subscriptions department directly on 0844 844 0939.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby quiltslm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi
I thought I posted a reply on 16/17th July commending the July issue, obviously not!
Read my magazine in 1 day, fascinating as usual especially the review by Glyn Stocker of the Canals of Britain as my maternal ancesters were canal barge people.
The book received 2 days later from Amazon is as fascinating as Glyn describes.

I would appreciate contact with Glyn as he refers to family links with Rode Heath & Kent Green, where my ancesters originated from.
Looking forward to the new series of WDYTYA, the line up looks to be a winner :
Carry on the good work with the magazine.
Regards Patricia
quiltslm

Next

Return to Magazine chat