Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree book template

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Family Tree book template

Postby Sharon V » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 am

Can anyone recommend a template for creating a Family History book. I'd like a fairly flexible one and not too twee. Ancestry do one with the option of buying a printed covered book, but that requires loading my tree onto their system which I don't want to do.
Sharon V

Re: Family Tree book template

Postby callbrian » Sun May 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi
Do you have a version of Family Tree Maker? If not you can purchase the basic version quite cheaply. On the toolbar there is a 'Books' menu which allows you to add items. You would have to load in your known facts etc. There is a tutorial that guides you through, showing how to add photos, indexes etc.
Other Family tree software may have similar systems.

Good Luck
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ksouthall » Sun May 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Another alternative could be to make a photobook. It depends on the format you want. You can ad captions to photos to explain who people are and their relationships. I have used Photobox for this sort of thing in the past. It may be worth a look as they often do special offers on the number of books you can order which makes them good for presents.

There are other similar companies which may also be worth a look.
ksouthall

Postby callbrian » Mon May 30, 2011 11:45 am

Hi again,
further to my previous posting. I found the following (if you have Microsft Word on your PC)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templ ... 03059.aspx

This is a free download which add to templates in Word, there are two versions available.

Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Sharon V » Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Thank you for your replies and help.
I use Family Historian which I am very happy with, but it seems to have everything except a publish option. I have just loaded up an old version of RootsMagic which does have a publish option which is quite good, but doesn't appear to have much flexibility for adding extras. I like the look of the demo in Ancestry and wonder if this is the same as the one available in FTM? I could buy the 2010 FTM cheaply, but don't want to waste my money if it's no good - has anyone tried it?
The word template is obviously very adaptable and I could add lots of writing, but haven't get worked out how or if I can export trees from Family Historian to put into a Word document.
Sharon V

Postby paulberyl » Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi Sharon,

I also use Family Historian, which I have used for a number of years now. It is very good for web publishing but just slightly more difficult if you are wanting to produce a printed book. However with a (younger) sister and (even younger) neice who refuse to embrace modern technology I am left with no option but to produce word documents for them.

The way I do this is to ultilise MS Word, making up my own frontispiece and title pages. Using the Reports facility on Family Historian I obtain the type of report I want (Ancestor, Descendant, Individual) and save this in a .rtf format for word processing. This I can then edit by adding, deleting or amending information and then pasting the final version into my Word book. For family trees using the Diagram tool on Family Historian I save the relevant family tree as a .jpeg (although there are a number of different formats you can save the diagram as) and then use photo editing software to keep the size of the tree manageable, and therefore readable, and then insert this into my Word book. If necessary I then add addition images (photos; censuses; birth, marriage and death certificates).

To finalise I laminate the first and last pages of the printed book to give it a bit of strength and "bind" together by using a plastic strip to hold all the pages together.

Regards,

Paul

PS - If anyone else using Family Historian knows of a simpler method ...........
paulberyl

Postby Sharon V » Tue May 31, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks Paul
I am going down the Family Historian and MS Word route. It is long-winded, but I can eventually get exactly what I want. I might yet be tempted by FTM if I find this method too time-consuming!
Sharon V

Postby oldpos » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:59 am

an old blog I know but I suggest you check out Legacy. It has the best book publishing section that I have found.
oldpos

Return to General research queries