Moderator Control Panel ]

Websites

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Websites

Postby Drew Hunt » Fri May 27, 2011 9:03 am

Would it be a good idea to have simple icons alongside website recommendations to indicate potential costs? I'm thinking of something like a green F for free access sites, yellow S for subscription sites and red V (my least favourite!) for pay-per-view. It would be useful in articles where, maybe, 3 or 5 top recommended sites are shown in a sidebar, for instance.
Drew
Drew Hunt

Re: Websites

Postby Guy » Fri May 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Possibly but things could quickly get complicated.

Many sites offer some free data and some paid access databases.
Other sites have a variety of option such as various subscription levels plus pay-to-view.

Other sites offer data on cds rather than online, this option often has added advantages of security of purchased data, no more losing images one has paid for. Plus scrolling data rather than simple returns of specific search terms.

Who would be responsible if there was an error in the colour coding?
Irate readers would complain as would irate site owners.

Perhaps it is better to simply let readers view the sites and decide for themselves whether they wish to to further. ;)
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby bandit » Fri May 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello

To answer and add to the above threads, there are other considerations, and these are this…..

The paid subscription sites each individually have their own different type of databases and are good for different purposes depending on what you are looking for..

These sites are constantly updating their own individual pieces of information.

They all carry different types of pieces of information in addition to BMD’s and or Parish records

The free websites – free cen/free reg/ freebmd - make you choose a county or town on which to search; all well and good if you have an inkling but not if you don’t know

Family history sites and Opc can be a good source but generally it means trawling though lists.
National Archives are a very good source but not if you don’t know your way round a very complicated system of searching.

Google need I say more.

CD’s, software, hardware, books , mags, telephones, etc –

Pros
As the family historian we need to be sure we are on the right trail when we find or think we have found our relations. Therefore its prudent to have at least two sources that say the same thing. Some well-known free sites are just as notorious for filling gaps as they are for mistakes. Possibly this could be because they are not closely monitored. You only have that right if you pay money, and then you have an actual person to complain to on site . It has to be said that in the pre computer days libraries and Mormon churches were the mainstay of family researchers. Those facilities and family history venues are still there, but the downside is that you have to go to them. So it could be said there is a cost involvement of sort’s there as well.

Cons
As a genealogist at some point there is a cost involvement t be it a computer/laptop to start off with; a subscription or two to sites devoted to the records we want. The purchase of peripheral material on which we can search at our own pace. At the end of the day we all need the actual certificates to prove our BMD ‘s and that can be an expensive outlay in itself.

Consequently
We have to make choices as to how we go about looking for our relations and it has to be said whichever avenue you go down spending money is unavoidable. I I would advocate doing what you can for free on the proviso that you have at least two sources of “proof” before you get the actual certificates. We all will have our own individual favourite sources to do our searching on and it has to be said whatever works for you is good. However I do not think that we can abritarily colour code family history sites. We all have telephones and can ring and speak to the paid sites or go to a fayre and have a chat to the experts. Have a free trial if it suites you but most of all enjoy what you do and be phylosophical if you have to spend money at the end of the day.

hope this helps someone

kindest regards

bandit
bandit

Postby steve bannister 1 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:00 am

Drew Hunt wrote:Would it be a good idea to have simple icons alongside website recommendations to indicate potential costs? I'm thinking of something like a green F for free access sites, yellow S for subscription sites and red V (my least favourite!) for pay-per-view. It would be useful in articles where, maybe, 3 or 5 top recommended sites are shown in a sidebar, for instance.
Drew

Other posts aside, I agree, in theory, with Drew.

There are loads of websites cited and recommended in each edition of the magazine, and it would be a good idea to either 'rate' these, or at least tell us which are completely free to use. The onus of telling the reader whether they are free or not, should come from the owners of the websites, though. You could argue that a story is not complete unless a researcher us told us everything, but they don't have the time. They are simply providing a 'further reading' part to the story. I'm sure a simple disclaimer will be all that it takes, but, yes, it would be nice if a website says, 'Thank you for recommending us, here's what we charge...'. It might take up a bit of space, but then, surely that's what the WDYTYA website can be used for.

Maybe when the magazine is available for download, and they are not constricted to actual 'print' space, they could play around with a few additional ideas.

Steve
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Return to Genealogy chat