Moderator Control Panel ]

Help Identifying Three Photos (Sisters?)

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help Identifying Three Photos (Sisters?)

Postby simmonstown » Wed May 25, 2011 7:09 pm

I have three separate photos, with no dates for any of them. I think they are all sisters,with one of them my great grandmother. If so they were all born between 1860 and 1872. My great grandmother died in 1894 and so I was wondering if the picture of the three sisters could be a photo of them in mourning. Any insights would be wonderful as the clothes seem to be very different in the three photos and yet I'm nearly sure they are siblings.
(Click for a larger view.)
simmonstown

Re: Help Identifying Three Photos (Sisters?)

Postby simmonstown » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 pm

The middle photo is taken by Lauder Bros, 45 Lr Sackville St Dublin and the no. is 1902. Can anyone help with identifying when this photo might have been taken. I know that "Marion,Imp Paris" helps to date it to ? (Ref: www.cartes.freeuk.com.), but I would like confirmation as to when Lauder Bros were operating their business. I saw a post today about Lauder Bros, but it only mentioned that they were in Sackville Street in 1861, no mention of when they stopped working there. Did Edmund, who died in 1895 operate his business in Lr Sackville Street as well as Capel Street Dublin? Also the style of the clothes in the photo might also help to date it. I am trying to work out if this could be my grandmother (1884-1954) or my great grandmother (1864-1894).
simmonstown

Re: Help Identifying Three Photos (Sisters?)

Postby Lindsay » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:18 am

Hi there. The top picture was taken in the 1890s. It can easily be dated by the big sleeves, which came into fashion from 1890 when they started as a puff on the shoulder,getting larger until reaching their maximum size in 1895 [Gibson girl style] and then shrinking down slightly as the decade progressed. The V shape revers on their jackets were popular in the early 1890s.I estimate this picture to be from about 1894. Hope this helps.
Lindsay

Return to Photo identification