Moderator Control Panel ]

Can you help with badges?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Can you help with badges?

Postby gus granddaughter » Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm

The attached photo includes a photograph of my great uncle, Arthur Hobbs (on the left in the central photograph) taken around 1914. It was sent to me by my cousin, who has asked me if I know who the other man in the central picture is - I have no idea, but I hope someone may recognise the badges etc which may give me a clue. She thinks it may be Arthur's brother
If anyone has any bright ideas about the man in the right hand photo I would appreciate it - his hat looks either Railway to me, I believe an ancestor did work on the GWR.

Many thanks

Gus Granddaughter
Birmingham
Attachments
Hobbs 001.jpg
Hobbs 001.jpg (229.35 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
gus granddaughter

Re: Can you help with badges?

Postby snaphappy » Wed May 25, 2011 5:25 pm

The cap badge of the two soldiers is that of the Army Service Corps if that is of any help.
snaphappy

Postby g w aldous » Sat May 28, 2011 5:36 pm

the pic on the right is I think a registered porter for the GWR, Center pic right is a corporal wearing what I think is the queens sudan medal ribbon so has been in for a long time, the moustach looks right for that aswell, the boy the left middle and the porter are the same man, he was probably called up or volenteered for the war, but the other one was probably a boy soldier like my GFather, do you have names to search the service records for at TNA you can do it online you could be lucky although a lot were destroyed.
g w aldous

Postby jjmcd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Arthur's cap badge is definitely The Royal Army Service Corps. I have been on Ancestry.com and there are 6 Arthur Hobbs registered.
Arthur Hobbs Royal Army Service Corps M2/020588
Arthur Hobbs Adv MT Depot Army Service Corps M/27997
Arthur Hobbs Army Service Corps M2/133830
Arthur Hobbs Army Service Corps M2/157013
Arthur Hobbs Army Service Corps M2/177662
Arthur E Hobbs Army Service Corps M2/133622
Hope this helps you.
Jean :|
jjmcd

Postby DavidG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 pm

The soldier on the left if from a mounted section of the ASC as he wears a lanyard which held a penknife for general maintenance of the "Tack" (bridle, saddle, etc......).
DavidG

Return to Photo identification