Moderator Control Panel ]

A long shot?!

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

A long shot?!

Postby Sadieshatterly » Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help identify the date or regiment or indeed anything from this photocopy of a photograph.
My Uncle thinks it is off his Grandfather, Richard Donovan b.1868 in Cork City.
According to a letter home from his son in 1915 (serving in France), he joined the 9th Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers.Could this be from that time? If born 1868 and joined up in 1915, he`d be about 47 but looks younger than that to me?
Have searched Army Records on Ancestry and FMP with some success on another GG Grandfather , just not this one!
There is a very slightly better version here http://www.flickr.com/photos/sadieshatterly/5388214992/
Any help or suggestions appreciated
Many Thanks
Jacki
Attachments
Richard Donovan b1868 possibly.jpg
Richard Donovan b1868 possibly.jpg (226.15 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Sadieshatterly

Re: A long shot?!

Postby DavidG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Jacki,

Looking at the braiding on the uniform jacket it would appear to be a mounted unit, possibly Hussars or Dragoons. Try this link it the best photo I can find at the moment, it's of the 8th Hussars (Kings Royal Irish) taken around 1870?

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/a ... rs1870.htm

David
DavidG

Postby Sadieshatterly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Thank you David!
I posted the same query to rootschat a few weeks ago and a couple of people gave similar suggestions. There was also a suggestion that the bands on his arm were good conduct awards? Here`s the link :-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... 88.new#new
Sorry, should`ve posted the updated info here...

I`ve gotten a copy of `Military Uniforms of the 19th Century` out on loan from the library but it`s not easy comparing the beautifully coloured pictures with my dodgy photocopy! So thank you for that link, it was an interesting read. The men in the photograph wearing dress uniform are officers? Is that what Richard was, or did all ranks wear that type of dress?

So, would this uniform still be in use right up until say 1900? I`m pretty sure i have Richard on the Irish censuses 1901 & 1911 in Cork as a Quay Labourer with his family. So presumably any service was before this. A chap on the other thread had a look for Boer War records and I`ve looked on both FMP & Ancestry for Army Service records without any luck. Although I think FMP has added some more since by subscription lapsed.

Of course it`s always possible this isn`t even my Great Grandfather, perhaps a previous generation?

Thanks again for your help David

Jacki
Sadieshatterly

Postby DavidG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Jacki,

The detail on the cuffs smacks of the 8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars.

I can't find a picture that matches the braiding on the jacket though.

You could always try and send it to their Regimental Museum for confirmation?

David
DavidG

Return to Photo identification