Moderator Control Panel ]

Douglas Edwin Waddilove 1918-1976

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Douglas Edwin Waddilove 1918-1976

Postby JudiB » Tue May 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi

I am looking for any relatives of Douglas Edwin Waddilove.

His name is included on the back of the attached photo, which was taken in 1945 in Khios by my great uncle Alfred John Fabbrini.

As far as I can see there is only one Doug Waddilove who would fit with the dates and I would love to find out more about him. He appears to have married a Heather Fleming in 1949 in Cambridgeshire and had two children Andrew and Sophie.

I would love to be able to find out more about what they were all doing in Khios and supply a copy of the photo to descendants if they would like one.

Many thanks

Judi
Khios Jan 1945 2.jpg
Khios Jan 1945 2.jpg (117.63 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Khios Jan 1945.jpg
Khios Jan 1945.jpg (250.87 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
JudiB

Re: Douglas Edwin Waddilove 1918-1976

Postby Ancestry Central » Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi Judi

Are you able to identify any military information from the records of those named. I have to say when I trace the name Waddilove, it does not seem to be so common a name and the only references I find on the internet are a recent obit of a lady married to a late Judge, named in the obit as recently as March this year (http://announce.jpress.co.uk/8681694?s_source=jpmi_newm ) and a brief reference to a Lt Col E Waddilove (Ret) in 1945. The Judge , first name Douglas, so you never know. If this is your Douglas, then there should be clues in general Internet searches http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1S ... +Waddilove
About what they were doing, difficult to know without details of the regiment but here are some references. They could be anything from a Special Division to a Peace Keeping Force.
There is an article in the times , the year before and a reference to ‘special forces’ deployed to attack the Cable Station there, which had been held by the Germans:
. Raids On Aegean Islands Sorties By British Troops From Our Own Correspondent. The Times, Saturday, Jul 08, 1944; pg. 3; Issue 49903; col A
The Times, Monday, Jul 24, 1944; pg. 3; Issue 49916; col B
Assault On Island In Dodecanese Garrison Surrenders To British Force . Describes the German surrender at Chios. I read elsewhere that the liberation of Chios was officially on 10 October 1944.
As late as December that year , in another article the situation on Chios is described as ‘Normal’
Great image by the way. I hope all of them found happiness in life.
Independent Researcher

read my blog at http://ancestrycentral.wordpress.com/

Please note any ’ Requests’ posted by me are for my own personal family history research.
Ancestry Central

Postby JudiB » Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi

Many thanks for your help.

It is possible that the group were undertaking secret special manoeuvres as my great uncle received an MBE for unnamed missions during the war!

The obit does appear to be Douglas's wife and I have managed to trace a little more information on the children and will keep this page updated if I find out anything more.

Many thanks again

Judi
JudiB

Postby JudiB » Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi again

Many thanks for your help with this. Starting with the information that you supplied I found Douglas's birth, marriage and death and also his two children. I have now contacted 1 of his children and have sent them a copy of the photo.

Judi
JudiB

Postby Redfellow » Fri May 27, 2011 1:46 pm

By coincidence, if somewhat peripheral to the topic, I looked out my father's photographs of his time on MTBs in the eastern Mediterranean. For example:
Attachments
degraded 006.jpg
degraded 006.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Redfellow

Postby Mick W » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi, I realise this thread is very old now but I hope you get this reply: Douglas was my Dad's cousin and I'm researching him too! He was originally from ilkley in West Yorkshire and was in the Coldstream Guards during the war. He was one of the guys who broke out of Tobruk and I think he may have ended up in the SBS or similar...
Mick W

Return to General research queries