Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Navy / Clock / Painting Query

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Royal Navy / Clock / Painting Query

Postby eurogordi » Sun May 01, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm hoping that someone who knows more about Royal Navy history might be able to give me some information on the attached picture, reproduced from the face of a grandfather clock. I'm assuming this would have been copied from an original painting. The clock is estimated at 150-200 years old, so Trafalgar springs to mind, but I know the main vessel shown is not HMS Victory. Any information would be very much appreciated in putting together the history of this item. The clockmaker is shown as W Carter - Salisbury and I do know that Admiral Nelson had land south of Salisbury (Wiltshire) in the parish of Whiteparish. However, there is no known connection between this clock and Nelson, and Salisbury is about 40 miles from Portsmouth so the subject is not an obvious choice - especially as I have seen other clocks by this maker that depict more traditional rural countryside scenes in keeping with Wiltshire. I'm also intrigued as to why the colours on the Union Jack appear to have been reversed.

Clock Picture.jpg
Clock Picture.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
eurogordi

Return to Local history