Moderator Control Panel ]

Regalia Identification

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Regalia Identification

Postby ValerieH » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:25 pm

I am trying to find out what the initials DT stand for on the Collar worn by my Great Grandfather on the attached photo. His name is Edward Hornby and he was born in 1846 in Newton le Willows, Yorkshire.
He moved to Bishop Auckland, Durham about 1870 where he worked on the Railway as a Gateman and Platelayer until at least 1901. He then moved to Stockton, Durham where he died in 1920 aged 75.
Does the D stand for Durham? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Edward Hornby Pic.jpg
Edward Hornby Pic.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
ValerieH

Re: Regalia Identification

Postby Past Times » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:48 pm

I would hazard a guess that his collar formed part of some club or group regalia. Is it possible he was a Freemason or other similar group? Perhaps a trade union?

It may be worth you joining the Durham mailing list and posting your question on there, to try and gain some more local knowledge. You won't be able to post an attachement to the list, but you could include a link if you post the photo on photobucket or similar photo hosting web site.

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/inde ... URHAM.html

Tracy

ps. Great photo. He looks a proud sort of man!
Quaerentes Semper Familia Generationes
Past Times

Re: Regalia Identification

Postby loiseau22 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:51 pm

DT could stand for "degree templar".
I found it mentioned on this page http://www.themasonictrowel.com/books/craft_trade_mystery/files/chapter_4.htm
and it seems to be connected with either freemasons or with the knights templar.

Angela
loiseau22

Return to Photo identification