Moderator Control Panel ]

Celebs for next series

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Celebs for next series

Postby Flobby1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 pm

I think the programme is brilliant but would like to point out that given the number of people in the UK with Irish ancestry you have had very few celebs tracing Irish roots- particularly from the time of the Famine or the post Napoleonic War economic depression. I would be very interested to see someone with Irish/Liverpudlian/Lancashire/Manchester ancestry. I would be interested in Irish sailors, Irish soldiers who were in the British Army in the 19th century- like my g. grandfather.

You may get such a story from one of the following:

Paul McCartney- or his brother or a daughter
Julian Lennon
Gerry Marsden
One of the McGann brothers
A Nolan sister
Wayne Rooney
Kevin Keegan
Jimmy Tarbuck or his daughter
Johnny Vegas
The actress who played Shirley Valentine in the film- Pauline Collins.
People I can’t stand but who may be of interest are :
Cherie Booth
Anne Robinson

Alternatively someone with an Irish/Liverpool/NW background who ended up in the USA...no ideas there.
Other Liverpudlians who may be of interest are:
Peter Sissons
Halle Berry
Edwina Currie
Mike Myers
Alison Steadman (I think)
Simon Rattle

Another area which seems to have been neglected is the Northern Irish/Scottish connection. I am particularly interested in someone of Scottish Catholic background with ancestors that came from Northern Ireland or Catholics in Northern Ireland with possible Scottish backgrounds- Martin McGuiness, Barry McGuigan or others with ‘Mc’ names, It would be very interesting to find someone related to James Connolly- who was born in Edinburgh to parents from Northern Ireland and whose mother was a McGinn.

You have not had many Welsh people on- what about Tom Jones, Glenys Kinnock, Shirley Bassey, Glenda Jackson ( I know she is from Wirral but probably from a Welsh family).

Lastly I would be interested in very old Lancashire families who may have descended from Normans and in Jewish families who settled in Lancashire in the 18th century- if you could tie in with cotton mills and miners I would be very happy!
I look forward to hearing other ideas!
Flobby1

Re: Celebs for next series

Postby Flobby1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Forgot to mention Paul O'Grady and Daniel Craig.
Flobby1

Re: Celebs for next series

Postby MysticDave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 am

The problem is that most of the Irish records were destroyed in various fires in Dublin between 1916 and 1922.

I came across some interesting material on Hugh Grant, who has an ancestor out in South Africa, who signed up for some action with the Cape Mounted Riflemen.

Have to admit an interest as my great-great-grandfather was in the CMR too.
MysticDave

Previous

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat