Moderator Control Panel ]

Celebs for next series

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

RE: Celebs for next series

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:20 am

Good tip about satellite TV (which I've just had installed [:)]). Trouble is I'd never heard of this [i]Coming Home[/i] programme but I'll look out for it in future! [:)]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby colliehouse » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:33 am

pre1837, Could you explain that a bit more please. I've got satelite TV but haven't been able to find other regional programmes. Afraid I'm very dim on these matters but what do you mean when you say 'top numbers' on the programme guide?

How about having a technical section on the forum to explain things like this.
colliehouse

Postby pre1837 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:06 am

Haven't got the sat wired in at the moment, but we always found them in the high chanel numbers 7-900. Work up the chart and you should find them.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby ksouthall » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Dear Editor,
Yes please put reports from other countries' versions of WDYTYA? in the magazine as I am sure they would be very interesting.
I would also like to see articles based on "Coming Home", as although I don't have Welsh ancestors, some of my family moved from Devon to Wales.
I am interested in anyone's family history, particularly if it has a good story. I have learnt lots of snippets from the programmes, even though very little relates to my own family history.
I would also like to see "Coming Home" shown on one of the main 4 BBC channels. We have Freeview which is accessible to most people. I would prefer not to pay for satellite just to watch reruns of old programmes, and I am sure there are many other people who could not afford the monthly subscriptions.
Unfortunately, I did not watch as many of "My Family At War" as I would have liked. (I usually fall asleep around 10.45 after a busy day at work). Articles about these programmes would also be much appreciated.
I did manage to stay awake for the one about Rolf Harris's father and uncle and Kirsty Wark's great-uncle. I thought these stories were especially moving as Rolf's uncle died so close to the end of the war and Kirsty's great-uncle died of flu after it ended.
Thanks for reading this.
ksouthall

Postby colliehouse » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Many thanks, will try that.
colliehouse

Postby ksouthall » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:46 am

David Jason would be interesting as some of his family were from Chiddingly in East Sussex, which is where a lot of my family lived. It is also a very nice place to visit.
ksouthall

Postby Luchon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi again
Please don't dismiss J Public- we know people wouldn't be as enticed to watch. I don't think we mean that we should all have a go at being on the telly or getting your researchers to do the donkey work for us - but could there be some sort of programme summary "how to..." at the end of each series, particularly dealing with readers'/viewers' research problems, frustrations and dead ends. There are plenty on this forum but only a couple are dealt with in the magazine. Seeing more of the research in action would be good. The TV programmes deal mainly with successful outcomes but you surely must have had difficulties and come up against a brick wall or two. I also think that it would show new, timid first timers the chance to see how terrific our small or huge local libraries are. ( We aren't all on the doorstep of the National Archives at Kew.) Living in the north east with ancestors all in the north west, I have often popped into, unprepared and unannounced, v small (Tottington, Cheadle) fairly big (Ashton, Stockport, Bury) and large (Manchester Central) libraries and received nothing but excellent service from the staff.(Better to be prepared, I know.) The same goes for the staff at the Bury cemetery office. I called in on a whim once as I was passing but the staff were superb. I know you do articles on new centres in the magazine - but for those who haven't been in a library since they were a child it may be quite a daunting prospect. I had thought that the staff in the libraries would shiver as soon as they heard the words "I'm researching my family history and...." - not my experience at all. So - let's start locally and show us, as well as writing about, what local family history societies do - what successes and problems they have experienced.
Sorry - a bit of a garbled rant!
Luchon

Postby Toffeetaffy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:46 pm

I can understand that the magazine would not be able to include episodes of WDYTYA from other countries on DVD due to the overseas programmes having no links with the BBC.... though it does beggar belief why BBC Worldwide who have TV Channels in Canada and the US didn't buy the rights to produce the shows in those countries........ but

Coming Home is produced by BBC Wales, and as the WDYTYA magazine is published by BBC in Bristol, surely it wouldn't take much to include a couple of these programmes in future editions of the magazine, especially if the magazine is to include Welsh Ancestry features.
Toffeetaffy

Postby pentre » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:50 am

Is [i]Coming Home [/i]still being shown on BBC Wales? If so, can anyone tell me the day, times, please as I want to look on my cable TV to see if I can find it. I must say, I'd never thought of doing that before, because usually when I flick down the guide it seems like BBC1 is the same on all channels. From now on I'm going to look more carefully - but would appreciate it if anyone knows what day it's on. Maybe this forum will persuade the powers that be to repeat it nationwide?
pentre
pentre

Postby Pettsy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 pm

My list is.........

The late Frank Sinatra
The late Ronny Van Zant
Robert De Niro
The late Charlie Chaplin
Sean Connery
The late Bette Davies
Lulu