Moderator Control Panel ]

Celebs for next series

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

RE: Celebs for next series

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:30 am

Rolf Harris had a good war story on the BBC programme My Family At War - why not have him as a subject for WDYTYA? We could learn another aspect of Rolf's family history. Rolf has Welsh roots so that should please the Welsh viewers and forum members! [;)]

I thought Rolf came over very well - seems a lovely man so I'd like to know more about his ancestors.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Jtyner » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 am

Just saw James May(co presenter of Top gear) on a documentary, he got his brain scanned and had hs dna tested and found out he was 98% european and 2% asian.
i would like to find out about his ancestors.
Jtyner

Postby Editor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:40 pm

These DNA tests where they give you a percentage of your 'ethnicity' are to be taken with a pinch of salt by all accounts. It's still quite a new science. You could say we've all got some African in us!
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Editor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Rolf Harris was in a BBC Wales production called 'Coming Home' where they traced his Welsh roots. We could do a feature on a 'Coming Home' celebrity but only viewers in Wales will have had the opportunity to view it.

We've just been chatting in the office about doing Ardal O'Hanlon (the comedian who used to play Dougal on Father Ted) who featured in the Irish version of Who Do You Think You Are? The trouble is, we wouldn't be able to show the programme, we'd only be able to write it up.

Still, I think it could be interesting. What does everyone else think?

Sarah

p.s. Series three is coming out on DVD in January
Editor
Site Admin

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:56 pm

I would have loved to see the Coming Home show featuring Rolf. What a shame that people in other areas don't get to see these programmes. I may not have Welsh ancestry but I'm still interested in Rolf's story.

Sarah, what do you mean about not being able to show Ardal O'Hanlon's show? Was he featured in Coming Home too because I certainly saw his WDYTYA show. Did they do different ancestors in the Coming Home version then?

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Editor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 pm

Did you see Ardal O'Hanlon's show? I thought you could only watch it in Ireland. Shows what I know!
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pentre » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 pm

[quote]Rolf Harris was in a BBC Wales production called 'Coming Home' where they traced his Welsh roots. We could do a feature on a 'Coming Home' celebrity but only viewers in Wales will have had the opportunity to view it. [/quote]

Well, [b][i]I [/i][/b]think that's very unfair! Why do you presume English-based viewers are interested in celebrities with ancestors world-wide, but not at all interested in those with Welsh ancestry? Why will it not be possible to show it nationally?

On a different point, I'd like to see a programme on an adopted celebrity tracing his or her roots. I'm sure there are many different aspects to this - although of course not everyone would want the search to be made public. What do other people think?
pentre
pentre

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:00 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Editor

Did you see Ardal O'Hanlon's show? I thought you could only watch it in Ireland. Shows what I know!
[/quote]

My fault Sarah. [&o] I was getting mixed up with the other actor who was in Father Ted (Graham Norton). He was one of the WDYTYA celebs.

The BBC should just televise these [i]Coming Home[/i] programmes all over the country and not just in regions. It seems pretty limited of the BBC to do this cherry picking. I have mainly Engish ancestry but I still like to see stories concerning Wales or Ireland and other countries. That's why Jodie Kidd's story was so good because it had so much variation in places.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Editor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Did you see the adoption special they did with Nicky Campbell? He gave a really moving talk about it at the last WDYTYA LIVE event. It gets reshown occasionally.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:56 pm

If you've got satelite TV, you can see most of the regions. Just look on the prog guide in the top numbers and you will see the chanel numbers for the other regions other than your own. Then if a prog is being shown in Scotland for exmple, just put in the chanel number etc..
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

PreviousNext

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat