Moderator Control Panel ]

Celebs for next series

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

RE: Celebs for next series

Postby Editor » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Another problem with using Joe Public (or even some sporting celebrities) is that, the way the programme works, it is important to have people who are used to working in front of a camera. I know they make it look easy but I'm sure if you put me in front of a camera I would be really awkward and viewers would be changing channels within seconds!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:56 pm

What about Dale Winton, Jim Davidson, David Jason.
Problem is not already knowing their Family Tree Histories, we don't know if they would be interesting.

I wonder how many stories the Producers of WDYTYA have been explored but dropped for lack of interest?

Just because someone is popular does not have to mean their Family History would be. Lack of Factory Owners, War Time Horrors etc..
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby pre1837 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:43 pm

To continue with our interrupted discussion on who we would like to see in the future on the show.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

pre1837

Postby Simon in Bucks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I know that last night there was the WW1 programme that featured Dan Snow on his General Snow - great Grandfather.

But Dan and his father Peter also did a 'show' at the 2008 WDYTYA Live - that was really good - so how about putting them both into a future show to look back the Snow line ?

Simon in Bucks

Postby lspop » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:16 am

I would like to see Tom Heap the reporter as one of the guests. He may not be a celebrity but he would be used to the cameras and on a personal note, it might help my reseach, as Heap seems to be quite a common name in Lancashire!
lspop

Postby Editor » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Would other readers like to see features about the celebrities from the overseas versions? The US version is being filmed now and I'm sure we could do a feature on Catherine Freeman's or Geoffrey Robertson's episodes from the Australian versions.

How do you feel about celebrities that you haven't heard of? For example, I had never heard of Don Cherry from the Canadian version of Who Do You Think You Are? but his story involves a Home Child and some British records. It's a moving tale with a bit of WWI as well. Would that interest people?

Editor
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Could be very intersting. Just because a certain person might be a 'Household Name', does not mean their story IS interesting, so people unknown to us could have very interesting stories.

pre1837

Postby pentre » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:40 pm

I think seeing the overseas versions would be excellent. Many of us have ancestors who emigrated (or came to this country from abroad). I have ancestors who emigrated to Canada, New Zealand and USA, and a convict emigrant to Australia, so would welcome programmes about these countries. The fact that I haven't heard of the celebrities wouldn't make much difference - I haven't heard of several of those on the English version - but it didn't spoil my enjoyment.
pentre
pentre

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:56 pm

I'd certainly like to see the Australian programmes because I too had a convict relative transported to Western Australia in 1851. I'm more interested in Australia than American actually; although I do have a Mormon in my family tree who emigrated to the USA. Any chance on seeing a WDYTYA about Donny Osmond? [;)]

I agree that just because you don't know the celebrity it wouldn't necessarily spoil any enjoyment. Several of the UK celebs have increased my liking of them after I saw their stories when I hadn't particularly cared for them before the show. David Dickinson springs to mind.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby colliehouse » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:13 pm

I think this is a really good idea on all sorts of levels. Most of us might suppose that we don't have ancestors from overseas but who's to say that next time we follow a line it won't turn up someone in Australia, Canada or anywhere else in the world. There is also the origin of that person to consider. A recent example was Rolf Harris on 'My family at war'. I would have assumed his family were all Australian and it turns out his father was born and raised in Wales. I also don't think it is sensible to dismiss celebrities that you haven't heard of. A good example for me was Jodie Kidd, I'd never heard of her but I have now with WDYTYA and Strictly and the programme was interesting. You just never know where people are going to turn up next and anything that might help someone's research has to be useful.
colliehouse

PreviousNext

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat