Moderator Control Panel ]

Celebs for next series

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

RE: Celebs for next series

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:16 am

Actually, that's a good point. It would be really good to see the Australian, Canadian and American versions as a lot of their celebrities families would have British ancestors. It would be interesting to find out about them.
After all, Jerry Springer took part in WDYTYA? over here.
Apparently, some of the Australian runner Cathy Freeman's ancestors were from Devon.
ksouthall

Postby Editor » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:10 pm

I saw Cathy Freeman's episode (Editor's privilege!) and I thought it was fascinating. I wanted to see if we could include a copy with the magazine but the whole issue of picture rights and everything else was too complicated (and expensive). I'm sure that they will be discussing the idea of showing the US series here because we will have heard of the US celebrities (I'm afraid I hadn't heard of any of the Canadian ones, although I had heard of a couple of the Australian ones). Having said that, I've seen one of the Canadian episodes and, even if you haven't heard of the celebrity, the programmes are done so well it's still gripping stuff!

By the way, I know that the producers who make the series watch this forum so keep posting your suggestions...

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Luchon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:16 pm

Hmm - not sure who I'd like to see as I'd probably watch it anyway. Like others, it's more about what I can add to my own research than the celebrity factor. I'd be happy to watch J Public if it added to my learning. I also enjoy seeing those celebs who genuinely engage in the process itself with the researchers.
I'd like to see some follow up to previous programmes and know how the experience and the information obtained has affected them and more importantly the rest of their families. Did they go on to research those branches of the family not covered by the programme?
What I'd like to know though is whether you have had to abandon any programme at any stage as a result of the discovery of information that one may not have wanted to share with the rest of the world?
Luchon

Postby colliehouse » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 am

The Irish version would be interesting as well and would help with research.
Celebs I would like to see would be:
Trevor MacDonald
Sean Connery
Chris Hoy (topical and Scottish)
Cilla Black
Kathryn Jenkins

and just about anyone else really because as Pentre says it's the ones we don't know who seem to end up being the most interesting. There hasn't been a dull programme yet and I can't imagine there will be.
colliehouse

Postby Jtyner » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 am

i watched this years irish episodes(first time in ireland)
they had dana rosemary scalon
Linda Martin pamela flood, Dicky Bird and Joe Duffy.
another celeb i would like to see is Cliff Richard(real Name Harry Webb)
Jtyner

Postby ksouthall » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:56 pm

Dear Editor,
Would it be possible to put in articles from other countries' versions of the show, if pictures and video clips are not included ?
The family tree and how they went about the research would be interesting, even if we can't see any more than that ?
Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Prydeinwr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:16 pm

I've just subscribed and having scanned a few submissions I find that I'm in total agreement with Shevy's proposal.
Shevy has a real point. It could be a more interesting programme if it focussed more on real people than the already over-publicised and over-hyped.

I feel all sections of the media force feed us too much with non-entity, self-styled and so-called celebs.

While I admire much about the BBC, it is guilty of over promoting many simply because of looks or so-called sex appeal.

The BBC gives us historians just out of Uni, chefs who've just earned their first paypacket and presenters who don't have the first clue about the subject they deal with.

Come on BBC we are grown up you know. You don't have to force feed us with so-called celebrities simply because it makes it easy for you to make a programme. Can we have real experts? And, can you give us something really interesting. I'll wager there are many out there with stories and personal histories every bit as interesting, or even more so, than some of the figures so far featured.

Prydeinwr

Postby colliehouse » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 pm

I think that is a wee bit strong Prydeinwr.

I can think of many individuals on the BBC who to my eye are not particularly good looking nor do they have sex appeal, however that only reflects my taste and not that of any one else because other people think they are great. There may be a few inexperienced historians, chefs and presenters but we all have to start somewhere and most of them do a very good job. It is also balanced by some very experienced and knowledgable people.

I think the point about programmes featuring non-celebs is interesting. It sounds like a good idea initially but the BBC has to be very aware of viewing figures and I can't think that a programme about, for example, me, would be even remotely interesting to the rest of the United Kingdom. In addition, there would be a host of people waiting to condemn me for pushing myself forward to become a "non-entity, self-styled so-called celebrity" [&:] I think I would prefer to wait until the BBC comes up with someone they have carefully chosen whose history bears similarlities to mine and who has the courage to put their head above the parapet.
colliehouse

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 am

Here's my list:

Jeremy Northam
Kristin Scott Thomas
Rupert Penry-Jones
Matthew McFadyen
Colin Firth
Keanu Reeves (how about a bit of Hawaiian Genealogy)! [:D]
Toby Stephens
Jennifer Ehle
Tara Fitzgerald
Rupert Graves

FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 am

Hmm, I see I've already submitted a celebs list and it is uncannily like my second list! My list is very unlikely but it was fun compiling it!

If I see any of my choices on a forthcoming series I may eat my hat! [:D] [;)]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

PreviousNext

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat