Moderator Control Panel ]

May issue – let us know what you think

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

May issue – let us know what you think

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 am

Hello!

The May issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine hits the shelves tomorrow (Tuesday, 19 April) and it's a particularly packed one this month. From our expert tips on tracking down those elusive marriages to guides to using apprentice records and Welsh websites, there's plenty on offer for everyone. You can read more about what's inside here – and do let us know what you think of the issue!

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: May issue – let us know what you think

Postby magenta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:05 pm

What went wrong with the CD?
The links section has what appears to be an anti-Royal Family link.
It is most peculiar & I was worried it might transmit a virus.
It is not at all in keeping with the tone of the magazine & previous CDs.
magenta

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:24 am

Hi Magenta,

I'm really sorry that you've discovered something untoward on our cover disc. Under which section is the link that you mention?

Apologies again,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby Blackcat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Throughout the May issue, there are several references to Kate Middleton - all of which sub-title her as 'the future Queen of England'
Sorry to be picky - but I seem to have missed the referendum for Scotland ...... and for Wales ..... and for Northern Ireland? :?
Blackcat

Postby Gary Shaw » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:43 am

Hi there Matt
Looking at your blog, and opening up the hyperlink, I really am looking forward to receiving my copy in the mail. Only problem is that, living in Australia, postal times do delay the arrival of the magazine.
Can overseas subscribers have a few more competitions that we are eligible to enter as most are geared towards your UK readers? :?:
Thought it worth the ask!!!
Gaz
Gary Shaw

Postby Sylcec » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 pm

I need to commend WDYTYA mag on their postal service - I collected mine from my PO box yesterday - 27 April - that's in suburban Sydney and only 9 days after it was due to hit the newstands in the UK, and the first postal delivery service here after a very long 5 day weekend for Easter and Anzac Day. Remarkable.

Agree with Gaz that it is a pity that you haven't yet worked out a way/sponsorship for some competitions to be open to your international readership.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Matt Elton » Fri May 06, 2011 11:43 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, we've been hard at work getting the June issue out of the door! There's a couple of points that I'd like to make about the May issue, though.

Blackcat: a couple of people have spotted the unfortunate mistake of labelling Kate Middleton 'Queen of England' in our Off the Record section. On behalf of all of the team, I'd like to apologise for this error, which was made worse by the headline and should have been picked up at the editing stage. We take accuracy very seriously and unfortunately did not live up to our high standards on this occasion.

Gary: the issue of overseas competitions is something that we're certainly looking into. We do try to strike a balance between those that have to be open to UK residents only due to rights issues and those that we run from the office on a more informal basis. There a plenty on offer in the newsletter which are open to everyone, for instance – if you've not entered our US DVD competition, for instance, there's still time (entries have to be in by Monday).

Finally, Sylcec: glad to hear that the issues are reaching you a bit more promptly now! Is anyone else finding that they're getting their copies earlier?

Thanks to everyone for posting, and have a lovely weekend!

Matt
Matt Elton

Return to Magazine chat