Moderator Control Panel ]

Ransom - Very early outdoor photograph?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Ransom - Very early outdoor photograph?

Postby Pitcairn » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:03 pm

I have a small Victorian photo album which used to belong to my great great grandfather [b]Henry Ransom[/b]. It contains his family photographs, some of which have been named by my Dad's sister. However, there is one mystery photograph in the back of the album which looks as if it was taken in a back garden. The family lived in [b]Islington, London[/b] after moving from Suffolk. Henry lived from 1817 to 1888.

Can anyone take a stab at a date for this photograph and also tell me anything else about it?

David Ransom
Pitcairn

RE: Ransom - Very early outdoor photograph?

Postby snaphappy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:40 am

This study, showing two women sewing whilst another reads to them in a garden setting, shows that all the women have their hair parted in the centre and the hair brushed/pulled back to be set in coils/plaits at the crown or back of the head. The ears on all the women have been left exposed and the possiblilty of the hair being in a chignon at the back of the head is high. The sleeving on the bodice top of the woman on the right is in the form of coat sleeving or peg top sleeving being that it is loose at the upper section but leading to a tighter fit around the cuff area. On two of the woman lacing can be seen at the cuff which would copy that of around the neck area. Staying with the woman on the right the material on the bodice (by the way all women are wearing front fastening bodice tops) forms the epaulette to the shoulder area whilst the others show a "dropped" shoulder appearence which would indicate no padding or shape to the shoulder seam. Although I can only make out that two of the women have a ring on their fingers, all three are wearing brooches at the neck line, one has a beaded necklace whilst two of the women are wearing chatelaines. Going by the fall of the skirt on each of the women I would place this photograph as having been taken sometime between the years of 1863 and 1870.

snaphappy
snaphappy

RE: Ransom - Very early outdoor photograph?

Postby Admin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Here is the resized image.

[image]local://0/9E21664BA9BC43FA8BCC4799449920F4.jpg[/image]
If you have any technical difficulties, email EdwardHerbert@magazine-services.co.uk
Admin

Return to Photo identification