Moderator Control Panel ]

uniform & Location help

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

uniform & Location help

Postby onthecauseway » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Whilst looking through a box of photos at by Mothers I discovered several photos of my Grandfather in Army uniform. I know he was born 1892 Bristol and believe that he served in the Gloucesters.

`on looking through other posts I'm wondering if the uniform is a hospital blue, although I don't fully understand what that implies.

I have 5 photos but not sure of the limitations of this site, so am posting just one for now. Please can anyone help with identifying either the uniform and/or the location.

Thanks

Could someone also advise best way to upload 5 photos?
Attachments
Group on bridge (1).jpg
Group on bridge (1).jpg (248.06 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
onthecauseway

Re: uniform & Location help

Postby Sylcec » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 am

Suggest that you read the messages in the "Child London Uniform" thread which show a lad in the same sort of uniform as the older men have in your photo. Other contributors have identified this as hospital blues and provided some background information.
Sylcec

Postby paulberyl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

As has already been identified the uniforms being worn are “hospital blues”. British and Commonwealth soldiers staying in military hospitals or convalescent homes were issued "hospital blues", which basically consisted of a white, collar attached shirt, with a red necktie, bright blue serge waistcoat, trousers and jacket. These were worn with the soldiers own regimental head-dress, (and greatcoat in inclement weather); hence the reason for the different headwear and regimental badges being worn by the soldiers.

At the time there was a great deal of pressure on men to enlist, and the uniform demonstrated that the men had “done their bit”.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby onthecauseway » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have taken a look at the article mentioned. I guess this means that at some point he was injured and spent time in hospital. Can anyone suggest how I would find out where and how he was injured?
onthecauseway

Postby christine7553 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 pm

'If' his Service Record for WW1 has survived you may find details if you read through. Surviving Service Records are available on Ancestry.co.uk if you haven't seen them before ( many were burned
in WW2 bombing ).

Good luck !

Christine
christine7553

Postby Sylcec » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:33 am

here is the WWI deployment of the Gloucestershire Regt http://www.1914-1918.net/glos.htm. You don't seem to have given us your grandfather's name, so am not able to do a specific search for his records.
Sylcec

Return to Photo identification