Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform i/d

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Uniform i/d

Postby orewabrian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:42 am

My Grandfather, Wilfred (Wilfrid) Charles James was born 1884 in Crowborough Sussex. His WW1Army records were destroyed WW2. He has a Red Cross badge on his left arm in two of the photos attached. He is holding a cane under one arm in the other. Was he an officer or was this just for the photo?. Please, can anyone i/d his rank, the regiment he was in, or any other details which may help me in my research.

Thanks

Brian
Attachments
Wilfred Filtness 2.jpg
Wilfred Filtness 2.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Wilfred Filtness.jpg
Was he an officer?
Wilfred Filtness.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
Wilfred, Louisa, Winifred and Dorothy and Evelyn jpg.jpg
The youngest of the three girls was born April 1916
Wilfred, Louisa, Winifred and Dorothy and Evelyn jpg.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
orewabrian

Re: Uniform i/d

Postby snaphappy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Sorry he is not an officer but a private serving in one of the Light Infantry regiments. If it is possible to post a high res' image of just the cap badge it may help in identifying the regiment. As for the badge on his upper arm this would indicate that he would have delt with the injured in some way either directly or as a stretcher bearer. The cane is just that, a cane. It is said that these were given to the soldiers when out of barracks to stop them from placing their hands in their pockets and making them look slovenly and untidy (how true this is, is left open to question).
snaphappy

Postby Sylcec » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 am

The base of the cap badge looks to me shaped like a horn, such as appear in Durham Light Infantry, Oxfordshire Light Infantry.
Even though his service records are gone, there should be a medal index card for him if he served in WWI. This would tell us his regiment - but I am having difficulty identifying an MIC for him because his name is unclear - is his surname FILTNESS or JAMES? However, have gone through all the FILTNESS cards and there is no Wilfred, in case he preferred to be known as Charles, I checked these, but none of them were in Light Infantry Regiments.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby orewabrian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

Hi Sylvia
Many thanks for your quick reply and for doing all of those checks for me.
I will ask my sister in England to send a better quality photo if she can. I will add any new photos I get.
My grandfathers surname was FILTNESS. His other names were Wilfred or Wilfrid, Charles, James. His brother won a medal and I will check what regiment he was in. Maybe they were in the same regiment.

Regards

Brian
orewabrian

Postby DavidG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Brian,

His Service Record is available on Ancestry.

Name: Wifred Charles James Filtness
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Age at enlistment: 32
Residence: Fernleigh Harcourt Road, Uckfield, Sussex
Document Year: 1916
Regimental Number: 5281
Regiment Name: Batt Durham Light Infantry

It doesn't give much information on his actual service but does give a lot of family information.

If you haven't got access to Ancestry send me a personal message and I'll transcribe it for you.

David
DavidG

Postby orewabrian » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi David

Many thanks for the info on my Grandfather.

Coincidently I found the info this weekend and have printed a copy of the "Duplicate Enrolment Paper".
This shows that his service number was changed from 5281 to 251289 and was fit for Garrison duties with 6th battalian Durham Light Infantry on 25 Jul 1916.

Thank you once again.

Regards

Brian
orewabrian

Return to Photo identification