Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Postby TobyMoreyakaARD » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi, Alan, We were in contact some years ago re my great grandfather - (Corporal) Nelson Charles Davies who was in the 122nd RGA, and who died of his wounds on 6 February. He's buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. We've just returned from a visit there (and very impressed with the visitor centre there now). We haven't, though, been able to find out why he got injured? And from the war diaries that we could see, his name wasn't mentioned... Do you have any further information? And are there any other citations for NC Davies in the 122nd prior to his death? Looking forward to hearing from you again. :)
TobyMoreyakaARD

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Postby Gunner » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello,
Good to hear from you and glad you had a good visit - I was there myself back in March and visited Nelson's grave.
He was wounded at a factory (I have not managed to identify exactly where this was) near the Battery location at Kruisstraat (just to the West of Ypres) on the 5th Feb 1916.
He had taken part in the fierce battles of Second Ypres and many other engagements.
If you have seen the diary you will know these I guess, but do get back to me if I can help further.
best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Previous

Return to Military help