Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Postby ladydeen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Hello

im trying to trace a Patrick Reddichan who was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. he was born in Dundee Scotland in 1885. i have found his Army No which was 344071. But i cant find any service records for him. any information on him please.

Thanks Ladydeen
ladydeen

Postby ColinB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 pm

According to the Medal Rolls Index , 344071 was the number of Sgt Thomas Reddichan , Royal Garrison Artillery. How did you find the number for Patrick ?

Colin
ColinB

Postby slawlyon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 am

I have been trying to find the record of my Grandfather William Allison Houston born 1884 in Glasgow. I have a photo of him in uniform on a horse, and family story is that he was in the RFA. He survived the war and returned home, but I can't find his records.
I have found a medal card for a William Houston, Royal Garrison Artillery but there were other William Houstons in the army at that time. The number on this card for the RGA(TF) was GNR 327130. The other numbers on the card were RH and RFA Gnr 640527. I understand many records were destroyed in the WW2. Any ideas where I can go to establish if this is my William?
Many thanks
Dorothy
slawlyon

Postby Gunner » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:48 pm

Unless his father was James and his wife Elsie this chap is not your man I am afraid.There is a pension record for the one you refer to but it does not include his middle name Allison.
Gunner

Postby Gunner » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Regarding earlier question re 19th Heavy Battery
Please go through the earlier posts here and you will pick up background on how to search for details of RGA heavy batteries (note it is easy to confuse RFA, Heavy and Siege batteries).
But I suggest you join the Great War Forum
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php

And in particular searching on 19th Heavy Battery leads you to:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... %2Bbattery

Scroll down through the responses and you will find a particularly helpful one from Pal (ororkep) which says: Great photograph. Be careful here as the 76th reference is I am sure applying to 19th Siege battery. The allocations for 19th Heavy battery are below. They embarked on the 14th, arrived in France on the15th July 1915, from Charlton Park Woolwich, a force of 4 guns, later made up to 6 in Oct 1916. Compliment of 12 Officers (that’s a lot), 1 Warrant Officer, 8 Serjeants, I trumpeter and 191 rank and file. They eventually moved to Italy. It is correct that unfortunately no official war diary managed to survive but most of the higher formations ones from the allocation record do, and should at least give you a rough indication of what they got up to. for instance WO95/469 for the 21 HAG covers their mobilisation and entry into France and first rounds fired in anger, and WO95/298 will give you the Somme envolvement.
Regards Paul

See the extract from WO 95/5494 which details the movements of the Battery. It shows all the artillery brigades/groups the 19th served in (which Paul has highlighted some). A visit to the NA at Kew is necessary to look at these (they won't be online yet). Detail included will be very varied.

I trust this is of use
Alan
Gunner

Postby slawlyon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Thank you so much. His father was Adam and his mother was Jane. So no match there. But plenty to go at. I think a visit to Kew is next.
Best wishes and thanks again
slawlyon

Postby jamest » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:09 pm

My great great grandfather served with the Royal Garrison Artillery during WW1.
The only info I have is from a reference card with the following detail:
Reg No 77884
RGA 140 B 4021
His name is Herbert Thomas Hicks
I would like to find out more about his personal and regiment history, if anyone can help ?
Thanks
jamest
jamest

Postby Gunner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 pm

James
I have had a look at his medal index card - which says only what you know already.
I searched for a service or pension record, but I could not see one for him.

So this means it is difficult, if not nigh impossible, to identify which Battery he served with (I also checked the names I have for the 122nd Heavy Battery - but the chances of him being in the one I am researching were low!).

I assume he survived?
Have a look at the previous posts here but I think unless you can find a family member, who has information, or another document it will not be possible to find out more. Sorry ....................
Good luck!
Alan
Gunner

Postby andyw1803 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi, I have just seen your post from 2010 mentioning relatives who had served in the 47th Siege Battery. My Great-Uncle Bill was a gunner in the 47th Siege Battery, and died of his wounds on 27th September 1917. He was also from the Portsmouth area, so he may have known some of the others mentioned in this discussion. I have posted some more details in Ancestry-com You can search on his name, William Henry John Reynolds, 1892 - 1917. He was my grandmother's favourite big brother and she talked often of him.

If any readers have any knowledge of actions that the 47th Siege Battery, or the 13th Heavy Artillery Group that they were part of, then please let me know!

Thanks
andyw1803

Postby Gunner » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:56 am

You are in luck the National Archives at Kew have the War Diary:
47 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.
Collection: Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Date range:01 December 1915 - 31 January 1918
Reference:WO 95/465

This Battery would not necessarily have remained as part of 13th HAG/Heavy Brigade - I would look at the following Reference:WO 95/5494
Description:
List of Royal Artillery, Army Service Corps, Machine Gun Corps and Medical Units with the Division, Corps or Army they fought with. Siege Batteries Canadian Siege Batteries Heavy Batteries (etc.)
which will enable you to confirm which artillery groups/heavy brigades the 47 SB were with.

Both the Brigade and Battery war diaries should be researched to give you the best chance of finding further detail (although it is impossible to guess how much detail will be available). Ideally I suggest you visit Kew yourself - if you try to order copies it could be very expensive for the whole period (I don't know how long your relative was with 47!) and might include pages of peripheral information. Alternatively I would consider finding a good researcher.
Good luck!
Gunner

PreviousNext

Return to Military help