Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Postby nodmonkey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:58 pm

ColinB wrote:Ancestry appears to have the service record for John Mercer , with the service number incorrectly transcribed as 92255 . I've read enough to see the correct number is 92205 but the record extends to 100 pages so worth a carefull read.

Colin

wow thanks for that colin,so should i look under 92255 at ancestry for his service record?
nodmonkey

Postby nodmonkey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 pm

im struggling here colin,ancestry search is real confusing,cant find him at all on military service records,how did you find him?im just getting the same results every time
nodmonkey

Postby Gunner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Hello Nodmonkey - I will come back to your query when I have more time - I understand your difficulty. Tracking the artillery - particularly Royal Garrison Artillery can be challenging! Let us know how you get on with Colin's very helpful find! Just seen your latest and I will let Colin provide guidance on how he found him. Otherwise best perhaps to play with the search terms - just surname and his regiment Royal Garrison Artillery - and then add detail bit by bit?

For Jilly - Ernest Spry Vincent joined the Army Service Corps (motor transport) and first went to France on the 26 Aug 16 before being commissioned into the RGA. Unfortunately I can't find his army officer records - which is unusual but not an isolated case. Might he have served after 1920 do you think? His Medal Index Card gives his address in Truro but I guess you know that.

For Valann. - Go back to ancestry and go to Military Records and put in simply the surname Packe.
You will find pension records for J E Packe and these indicate he went to France in 3 Mar 18 to join 118 Siege Battery.
Also -as Sylvia said the Long Trail can be very helpful - there is an extract of the War Diary (although it covers an earlier period it does give a useful description of the battery (9.2 inch guns) (I think there will be more of the War Diary in the National Archives). Go to the Long Trail -see http://www.1914-1918.net/Diaries/wardiary-118siege.htm to see the extract.

Also when you put in Packe you will see that for W B Packe there is both a Pension Record (which is mostly about his medical history leading to a pension) and also his Service Record. It's hard to read in parts but describes him joining 328 Siege Battery. He was with the BEF from 19 May 1917 until 26 Aug 17 - from a quick glance at the pension record I think he had been 'gassed' but it warrants a very careful reading to work out the sequence of his service. I know the 328th were near Messines in Sept 1917 (which is just south of Ypres). Their War Diary exists for the month of Aug 1917 - as well as the Brigade diary for a longer period overlapping WBP's service with the battery. Have a read of the service records and I will come back with more guidance about the archives and the information you can get from the War Diaries (sometimes!!). You can order up copies but that can be expensive unless you know exactly what you require! You can engage a researcher.
Also from the Long Trail you can quickly find the Great War Forum (or just google). This is a good way of asking for specific information about Batteries - you may find someone else researching the specific ones you are interested in - read the guidance about using the website carefully and then look at other examples of the topics to get a feel for how it works!
Alan
Gunner

Postby ColinB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:32 pm

ColinB

Postby nodmonkey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 pm

hi colin,its the wrong john mercer,oddly born the same year but he was born in surrey,strange how the numbers are so similar too
nodmonkey

Postby ColinB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 pm

I had another look and I wonder if there are 2 records mixed up. If you go to the fifth page of the set it says :

RSM John Mercer 92205 enlisted 20.8.92 ,re- engaged 25.11.12. Regiment or Corps 64th HAG ...
and goes on to mention the award of the DCM in 1916. I find it hard to think that 2 John Mercer's in 64th HAG won the DCM so it's worth reading through I think.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Gunner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Colin is right - it is not unusual for records to be mixed up a little (both online and in the original files)

Just to explain - HAG is the Heavy Artillery Group (Royal Garrison Artillery) - it equates to a Brigade and during the war the organisation of the RGA changed from Brigade (Bde) to HAG and back again!
John may have been at the Group Headquarters itself - or in one of the batteries within the 64th Group.
Each group comprised a number of batteries - and the batteries moved individually from one group [or brigade] and sometimes back again depending on where they were needed.................
Depending on the group it could comprise heavy or siege batteries - and, just to confuse matters further, they could have the same number! 122nd Heavy and 122nd Siege for example!
Nodmonkey - do you have John's citation? If not I will dig out a list I have of the citations and check. That would give more information so please let us know and we can perhaps help further.
Gunner

Postby Gunner » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:34 am

Re: A/RSM J Mercer 92205 - I see his DCM award was published in the London Gazette on 21 Dec 1916 and his citation stated:

"for conspicuous gallantry in action. He dug out five men who had been buried under very shell fire",

best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Postby nodmonkey » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Gunner wrote:Re: A/RSM J Mercer 92205 - I see his DCM award was published in the London Gazette on 21 Dec 1916 and his citation stated:

"for conspicuous gallantry in action. He dug out five men who had been buried under very shell fire",

best wishes
Alan

yeah ive had a read through what records i can manage to understand as the writing is messy,it seems he served in a few different units,trying to work out where he was and with what unit when he won the DCM,you guys really do a great job on here for donuts like me and its much appreciated :-)
nodmonkey

Postby PaulE » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:21 pm

I've recently visited the grave of a relative who was a gunner in 19th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery; who died 19 October 1917 and is buried in Canada Farm Cemetery, Elvedinge. near Ieper.

I am now curious to find out more about 19th Heavy Battery, but have no idea where to start. Please could someone give me some pointers?

Many thanks
PaulE

PreviousNext

Return to Military help