Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Postby Gunner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:52 am

Dear Jaseism,

Please let me know the dates your relative was in 111th (if you know these) and also what you know already (in outline at least!) and whether you would like help with medal index card (MIC) or trying to trace other information (the earlier posts will give you a steer as to the possibilities and limitations and other very useful links).
Have you visited the Great War Forum /Long Long Trail?
The MIC might indicate the date he entered France and Flanders and when he might have served with the Battery. The National Archives have some relevant war diaries.
I also have some first hand diary notes from one of the officers.
best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Postby Millst » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:50 pm

British Army WW1 Army Medal Rolls Index Cards (1914-1920) are at the National Archives, Kew.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... ds-ww1.htm

You can search the First World War army medal cards (WO 372) on for a soldier who received a campaign medal or gallantry award.

Records can be downloaded for about £3.50. You get a pdf file.

I found my grandfather's on ancestry as well.
Millst

Postby enfieldrifle » Sun May 12, 2013 5:41 pm

hi I am trying to find information of where my grandfather was in france or belguim. His name was Albert Victor Prince . He was a gunner with the royal garrison artillery 128HB his number was 96 291404. I am off to belguim soon and would like to visit some of the battlefield sites where his unit was. Any help is much appreciated. Nick
enfieldrifle

Postby Gunner » Sun May 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Nick
I will have a look for what I can find about your grandfather, but it will be useful to know as much about him as possible - can you let me have his age and also the dates he served?
As it happens I know a bit about this Battery as I researched the Battery Commander and so might well be able to help a bit, depending on the overlapping dates!
best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Postby Gunner » Sun May 12, 2013 6:52 pm

PS - How do you know he was with 128 HB please?
According to his Medal Index Card (which sadly gives little information) his number ended in 5 not 4, but I guess it could be an error by a clerk somewhere. Is the number you gave on his medals perhaps?
Alan
Gunner

Postby enfieldrifle » Thu May 30, 2013 5:05 pm

hi alan, just picked up your replies. many thanks for your interest. I think that my grandfather joined up in April 1916. The only reason we know this is that he is mentioned joining up in the local parish magazine. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks nick .We have an army document that states he was with 128 HB. you are correct as regards his number,
enfieldrifle

Postby Gunner » Thu May 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Nick
Many thanks that is a great help to know where to start!
When are you off to visit the battlefields (so I know how urgent this needs to be done by!)?
Also, if you live near Kew and the National Archives I think they have a copy of the battery war diary - if you want to visit to study this let me know and I will dig out the catalogue number and give you some hints for visiting (if you are not already familiar!)
best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Postby enfieldrifle » Thu May 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi Alan, We are going on 14th June. Do not put yourself out but if you did have any information about the 128th it would be nice. We are actually going to visit the grave of a soldier who was killed on 15/7/1917 called John Simmons who used to live in the small hamlet where we live. He was in The Hertfordshire Regiment and I think he was killed near the hill top sector near Ypres. He is buried near Poperinge. many thanks nick
enfieldrifle

Postby Gunner » Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Righto - I will work on it and get back to you
best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Postby Valann » Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 am

Hi everyone, I've only joined this forum yesterday and when I went on today I noticed RGA WWI! My paternal grandfather and his brothers served in the RGA and one was killed in action (Herbert Cecil Packe). Not sure what Battery but will look at the records I have via Ancestry to try and find out.
Valann

PreviousNext

Return to Military help