Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery World War One

Postby Bravo533 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 am

Hello - first post

I am interested in the list of 400 men of the RGA held by the OP Gunner.

My grandfather Robert Wellstead served in the RGA and we know he served at the first battle of the Somme July - Nov 1916. Furthermore, he left a list of the villages/towns he passed through during the battle which makes for interesting reading when looking at the map of the Britsh advances during this period.

However, we do not know which RGA unit he served in so cannot seek out his unit diaries/archives which could allow us to plot his "progress" during the battle.

Incidentally his brother in law, my great Uncle was killed during the Battle on July 7th 1916 near Beaumont Hamel.

Just by chance therefore - does anyone have any RGA records of Robert Wellstead 19579 2402024 ??

We have applied to the Army records office for his service record within the lat month and they have replied saying it could take up to 12 months to reply!! Hence this post!
Bravo533

Postby Gunner » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I have checked my list of names for 122nd Heavy Battery and I am afraid no Wellstead is included. That does not rule that unit out though - as the list is not complete.

I did find the Medal Index Card for Robert Welsted (19579) RGA on Ancestry - this shows him as first a Bombardier and the later as Sergeant.
Not much other detail - no unit and no date of entry into a theatre of operations. His medals were apparently reissued for some reason.

I assume he served well after the war - hence your approach to the Army records office?
Given the different army number you have shown I guess it is also possible that he was transferred to another arm or regiment - but I don't know what numbering system was used post-war.

One thing which might provide a glimmer of hope is: if you could say which villages he passed through - particularly if they had dates attached to the location.
In particular if there was an identifiable location for the 1st July 1916 (or a date very close to that) - or the first name on the list it could show where he was at the start of the battle - that might indicate the Corps (or one of two Corps) his battery was in and then research of possible Heavy Artillery Brigade's and associated locations could possibly be considered - this would be time consuming and would need to be at the National Archives. However let me know if you have that detail and I will share it with other experts!
Alan
Gunner

Postby jsavage23 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi

I am trying to trace my grandfather's war records. I know he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Regiment number 20076, though it could be 200776. I have a very basic medal record but I would like to see if there is more information available because I only have a date of birth and his name Michael Nolan. Does anyone know where I can find out more about him. Thanks
jsavage23

Postby Sylcec » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:43 pm

As you are piggy-backing on someone else's query which is presumably related to your own, you should have read the advice previously given. Additionally, there have been other similar queries on the WDYTYA forum over the last couple of years. Following advice already given should provide the answers to your questions. It should also become clear that there may not be a service record available for your grandfather. Very few WWI service records survive, they having been destroyed in the blitz in WWII.

As far as they are available the following are available for searching on Ancestry for WWI:
- Medal Index Cards
- Service Records - substantially incomplete
- Pension Records - substantially incomplete
For better background use the National Archives in-depth research guide:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... 4-1918.htm
and note that if your grandfather survived and continued to serve beyond 1920 that his papers will be with the Ministry of Defence see: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Paul Brown » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:00 am

Hi I am looking for more information about my Grandfather James Rushworth Regimental numbers below.

I believe he was sent to France on 14.9.1914 and was later stationed in India as per info below
I can be emailed below for some good pics and more info from his service recode if required.
paulbrown630@gmail.com

21 Brigade (regular, XXI) Royal Garrison artillery Heavy battery
Comprising 101, 102 and 103 Batteries, this brigade was at Hyderabad and under command of 4th (Quetta) Division of the Indian Army, which remained in India throughout the war.

- 21 Brigade was placed under orders of the Karachi Brigade (of the same Division) from June 1917
- 101 Battery returned to the brigade in November 1918, in exchange for 102 Battery.

Regimental number 14316 RFA
Regimental number 285852 RGA
regards
Paul
Paul Brown

Postby Gunner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Hello Paul,

I am afraid I am not able to help you with your enquiry for the time your Grandfather was in India (not my area of knowledge I am afraid!) however as he entered France in Sep 1914 I wonder if you know what RGA Battery he was with? Do you know when he went to India?

best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Postby Paul Brown » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi Allan
I do not know when he went to India. I believe he was a career soldier so I assume he went after the finish of the war in 1918.

I believe his RGA Battery was 253B, well if that is the correct number I am looking at on his service record.

Cheers
Paul
Paul Brown

Postby ColinB » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Hello Gunner,

I don't know why I didn't spot this before ! My Great Grand Uncle 26874 Serjeant Robert
John CARTER served with the RGA and was awarded the Military Medal ( Gazette 16 Jul 1918).
I've just downloaded the Medal Card from TNA and noticed that he was with 122 Heavy Battery,
which does not show up on his standard Medal Card . He enlisted in 1907 and was posted to
122 in 1914 - his Pension Record has survived. His father Alfred Carter , brother Frank W G
Carter and brother in law William J Hillier all served in the RGA .

Hope this is of interest to you. If you can tell me anything about 122 Hy By in 1918 I'd be
very grateful !

Thanks

Colin
ColinB

Postby Gunner » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Hello Colin
I was very interested to hear from you and I have sent you a personal message.
Please ignore my reference to a possible relative being in another battery - I have checked separately!
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

I am writing a history of the 122nd so I hope to be able to provide considerable detail if of interest
best wishes
Alan
Gunner

Postby Jaseism » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Gunner,

I see you said you have info on 111th.
What info do you have on 111th, I am interested to find out more about a relative who served.
Jaseism

PreviousNext

Return to Military help