Moderator Control Panel ]

Doris May Bott

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Doris May Bott

Postby Candididiasia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:36 am

Looking for information on my husband Grandmother.

Here is what I have

Death Cert

12 March 1977, Whitley Hospital Coventry.

Maiden name Underwood

Occupation and usual address
Wife of Albert Edward Bott and engineers grinder (retired) 2 Fingal Close, Coventry.

Name of Informant Albert Edward Bott Widower of deceased, 3 Fingla Close Coventry

Cause of death
Secondary metastais
Carinoma stomatch (operated)

Marriage cert

26 July 1928 in the Parish Church in the Parish of Exhall, in the county of Warwick.

Doris May Underwood, age 18, Spinster, 3 Hill Crescetn, Exhall. No father listed

married

Albert Edward Bott, age 23, Bachelor, Farm Hand, Corley Farm Corley. Father Charles Bott, Borough Council Labourer.

Info on Birth Cert

Doris May Underwood born 10 May 1910 13 Silver Street Bierley Hill.

Mother Maggie Underwood a Domestic Servant. No father mentioned appears to be illegitimate.

1911 Census

Shows a Maggie Underwood as Servant at 14 St Pauls Road Broughton Salford. Born Blakall Staffs

1911 Census
John Underwood, Head, Married, 42 Engine Driver Clay Pit, born Kidderminster, Worcs
Elizabeth Underwood, Wife 62, born Menelk Wood, Worcs
Naomi Underwood, Daughter 19, Brickyard labourer born Blaknell Staffs
Rose Annie Underwood, Single, 3 born Vetermore Staffs
Doris May Underwood, Single, 10 months Brettell Lane Staffs.

Does this look to be the correct family.

Trying to trace Doris parents so I can go up her side.

Many thanks
Candis
Candididiasia

Re: Doris May Bott

Postby meekhcs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Hello Candis

It looks as though you are going in the right direction. I have looked at a 1911 census entry for the Underwood family you have shown. John's age is given as 61 and he and Elizabeth are shown as husband and wife having been married for 42 years, with Rose and Doris as their grandchildren, so that could well be the line.

As there is no father listed on the birth or marriage cert I don't think you are going to find Doris's father. It's possible that her mother had a liason with someone in the house where she was a servant.
It may be worth purchasing Rose's birth cert. If Maggie is her mother as well it may shed some light on the subject, especially if it turned out that she was working for the same family at the time of both pregnancies.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Candididiasia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Sally

I will try that.

I have managed to find a birth ref for a Rosie Annie Underwood born Jan 1908 Stourbridge.

I will look at ordering this soon.

The car take priorty now husband broke down and the car is a gonna ouch.

Thanks for your help

Thanks
Candis
Candididiasia

Postby KateHart » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 am

Hi! I think Rose Annie Underwood may be my grandmother. Born in 1906 Married to Thomas Wilson in 1926 and died in 1962?
KateHart

Postby Sylcec » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:35 pm

Having trouble finding the family in 1901, but think this is them in 1891, including Maggie:
They are at Blakenhall Heath, Walsall Foreign, Staffordshire,
Ref: RG12; Piece: 2247; Folio: 93; Page: 10 (but would you believe that Ancestry links to a completely different page?!)
John Underwood 39,
Elizabeth Underwood 42
Lesly Underwood 11
Maggie Underwood 1
Francies Saxon 66
Sylcec

Return to General research queries