Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform help on very faded photograph

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Uniform help on very faded photograph

Postby pulcinello » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:00 pm

It seems unlikely I am ever going to be able to identify the man in the photo who is an ancestor of mine. But if anyone out there can hazard a guess as to what is written on his shoulder do please get in touch. I have been told he is wearing a Military Medal ribbon. Many thanks.
Attachments
Epaulette.jpg
Epaulette.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Unidentified soldier d. 1918.JPG
Unidentified soldier d. 1918.JPG (76.75 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
pulcinello

Re: Uniform help on very faded photograph

Postby mjloveumore » Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 am

Hi looking at the buttons on his uniform they look alot like the royal engineers buttons,maybe worth looking in to.
mjloveumore

Postby pulcinello » Mon May 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. Someone suggested that the shoulder strip had numbers 5 and 8 at the end. Then someone else thought it was the letters KOSB (Kings Own Scottish Borderers) but I don't know if the KOSB had their initial letters on a shoulder strip. 5 and 8 could be misread as S and B, so it's possible. However, I'll explore the Royal Engineers as you suggest.
pulcinello

Postby mjloveumore » Mon May 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Do u have any idea who he could be? is there anyone u might think it is from illimination?
mjloveumore

Postby pulcinello » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 pm

On the back of the photo, my late aunt had written that it was a photo of her father who had died of wounds in 1918 and that he was the eldest son of an old English Catholic family. There is some chance his surname might have been Cameron although that doesn't sound very English!
pulcinello

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Do you know your aunt's maiden surname? If so, look on the military records on Ancestry [free if you use your local library] or Findmypast. Either way you should be able to find the casualty lists for regiments or for his service record or regiment etc.

It might take a while and Cameron can be found all over the UK, so vary your search and don't become biased by surnames. They are often misleading, as are people's memories I'm afraid. Also extend your search to cover the whole of WW1.
KayFarndon

Postby pulcinello » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Many thanks for your reply. I have found a likely suspect although he's Scottish, not English, and not the eldest son of the family either as my aunt stated on the back of the photo, but until I can find a photo to confirm or disprove his identity I'm rather stuck! I will keep looking however.
pulcinello

Return to Photo identification