Moderator Control Panel ]

Charles Williams 1808 - 1883.

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Charles Williams 1808 - 1883.

Postby Charles316 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:33 am

Can you please help me to find out what uniform my great great grandfather, Charles Williams, was wearing here?

We have found a reference to him on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census records as an engine driver, and in a history of lead working in Shrewsbury filed in Shrewsbury Record Office as the engine driver in Burrs Lead Factory in Beeches Lane Shrewsbury. He was responsible for a steam engine used for lifting molten lead to the top of the Shot Tower.

He was a leading member of Claremont Street Baptist Church in Shrewsbury and is mentioned in their church minutes also held in the record office.

Gwen Graham.
Attachments
Charles and Ann Williams 1.jpg
Charles Williams 1808 - 1883
Charles and Ann Williams 1.jpg (78.82 KiB) Viewed 4537 times
Charles316

Re: Charles Williams 1808 - 1883.

Postby ed coyne » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:04 pm

hello there; the uniform that your man is wearing is for the GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC.this is an organization organized by veterans of the u.s.civil war who faught for the union ,commonly known as yankees.it was also known as the GAR.look at his hat and you will see those letters inclosed by a wreath.i am a member of the SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR.we are still active and if you would like more information you can contact me at <edcoyne603@yahoo.com> regards ed
ed coyne

Postby ed coyne » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm

hello gwem; i just checked the civil war records.there were 898 men by the name of charles williams that were enlisted into the union army from all the northern states.there were a total of 145 men of that name who enlisted in all the new england states.in new york,140.obviously a very common name.heres a breakdown of the n.e.states.mass.59/conn.26/vt.11/n.h.21/me.15 and r.i.13.if you have anymare information please tell me all you have.hopefully ill be able to narrow it down and find him for you.regards ed
ed coyne

Postby Charles316 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Dear Ed,

Many thanks for your two messages. I was fascinated to know that the uniform was that of a veteran of the American Civil War but the information has raised another question. I had always been told that the photograph was of my great great grandfather, Charles Williams, but as we know that he lived all his life in Shrewsbury where he worked in a lead works, perhaps I was misinformed!

However, one of Charles Williams' sons, Benjamin, who was born in Shrewsbury 27 Aug. 1831, emigrated to Canada and settled in Hamilton, Ontario, by 1851. In 1855 he was married there to Aphia S Henderson and must later have moved to Port Huron, St. Clair, Michigan, as we have a record of him working as a printer there on the 1880 USA census. I know that he later returned to England and died in Eastbourne on 29 September 1889. Could he possibly be the man in the uniform?

Another possible source for the picture is that it is of a descendant of Charles Williams' uncle, John Ankrett (Ankritt), who was born in Condover, Shropshire in 1777, and emigrated to America at the age of 20. He seems to have settled in the south and died in Texas, but could have had sons ?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could do a little more research for me.

Many thanks,

Gwen
Charles316

Postby ed coyne » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 pm

dear gwen;ill go with his son benjamin.historically there were at least 50.000 canadians that crossed the border and joined the u.s.army.many of them settled in the u.s. others went back to canada.there were also uncounted britishers that joined.it was the quickest way to u.s.citizenship during those trying times.many of them also faught for the south.my grandfather came to the u.s.,about 1842 as a child with his parents and siblings and joined when was twenty,he was born in london,england.i just mentioned this for general interest.there were four (4) men by the name of benjamin williams that joined the union army from the state of michigan.one died in service and the other three were listed as ages 19,23,and 34. i am assuming he was the 34 year old one based on the age you mentioned in your answer to me.send me all of the information you have on your benjiman williams.this will make it possable for me to dig deeper into the information i mention in this letter.you can pm me if you dont want to answer me here.hopefully this is your man. regards ed
ed coyne

Postby ed coyne » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:15 am

dear gwen; i had someone clean out my computer for me yesterday.he was supposed to clean out all the trash.he put in some new program.now im all messed up.it took me over an hour just to find the pm you sent me.until he comes back to fix it up like it used to be,i wont be using pm,s.i dont know if i sent you this info but benjamin,entered harper hospital,in detroit,mich. on june 8th 1865.it dosnt say why.it must have been after that that he decided to go back to england.the extra info you sent me,was of no help to me to research further.there is more info available in his military record that is held in govnt files.such as his military record and medical files.that is if he made application for a pension.the problem there is they charge $75.00 U.S.for it.its worth it,if you can afford it.they raised the fee a few years ago.when i got my grandfathers it only cost $3.00 but that was thirty plus years ago.when i received mine it also contained my grandparents marriage certificate plus childrens information etc.also his military information.if you want ill find the address of the place you have to write to,just let me know.by the way,there was also GAR camps in england.he might have been a member over there also. regards ed
ed coyne

Postby Gwen611 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with your computer and do hope it is all sorted now.
I just wanted to thank you for identifying the man in my photograph. Without your information, the picture would have gone on being labelled as 'Charles and Ann Williams' for ever more but thanks to you, we now know it is a picture of their son, Benjamin amd his wife Apphia, and that he served in the American Civil War.
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to contact me about this. I shall now correct the section on Benjamin and his family in the booklet I have written but as Benjamin was not a direct ancestor, just the brother of my great grandmother, I have decided not to delve any further into the history of that branch of the family.
Thanks again.
Gwen
Gwen611

Postby ed coyne » Tue May 03, 2011 1:20 pm

hi gwen;sorry for the delay in answering your last post.ive still got bugs in my program.glad i could be of a bit of help to you.if you would like background info/history of the GAR,just let me know.in my files i have an interesting story of the GAR posts in england that you might find interesting reading.send me your address and ill send you hard copies of it.it is to long for me to send by e-mail.regards ed ps WE GOT HIM.
ed coyne

Postby Gwen611 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:10 am

Dear Ed,
Thank you so much for the help you have already given and for offering to send me more information by post. I would be most interested to see it and would like to take you up on your offer.
My address is Mrs. G. Graham, 67 Shepherds Lane, GUILDFORD, Surrey. GU2 9SN
I shall look forward to hearing from you.
All best wishes,
Gwen
Gwen611

Return to Photo identification