Moderator Control Panel ]

Jersey or Midlands Style of Clothing?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Jersey or Midlands Style of Clothing?

Postby annabarton » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Dear All,

I have this four generation photo which my family believes to be of my 4x great grandfather Philippe Laurens (born St Heliers, Jersey, 1810), 3x great grandfather George Laurens (St Heliers, 1840),
2x great grandfather Charles Hawley (born Walsall, Staffordshire, 1859, son-in-law to George) and great grandfather Herbert Hawley (Walsall, 1887).

However through a family history website I have come across the same photo. We agree on the two older men, but the two younger men are thought to be instead George Laurens (son of George, born St Heliers, 1861) and his son Oscar (St Heliers, 1888)- though the source is unsure of the validity of the naming.

As the dates of birth of the possible ancestors are very close, I was wondering of the style of clothes may offer some clues. Are the clothes worn by the young man & boy more 'Midlands' or 'English' style verses a more "Jersey-French' style??

Also a possible date for the photo wold be welcome too.

Thank you!
Attachments
4 Gen HawLaur (cropped-small).jpg
4 Gen HawLaur (cropped-small).jpg (162.05 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
annabarton

Return to Photo identification