Moderator Control Panel ]

Which Uniform is this?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Which Uniform is this?

Postby AJMac » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I am researching my grandfather 1874 -1816 who joined the army in South Africa to fight the Boers but also served in WW1 where he was a Major in the Canadian Field Artillery and was killed at Ypres. We have a photo of someone who looks like him in a uniform but I wonder if the uniform could be from an earlier period and whether this could be my great grandfather C1840 -1889 who was in the Madras Indian Royal Artillery regiment.
Does anyone recognise this uniform please?
Ewan MacD.JPG
Ewan MacD.JPG (68.62 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
AJMac

Re: Which Uniform is this?

Postby mfkirke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:27 pm

He's Artillery... that's all I can say for sure. Firepower, the museum of the Royal Artillery might be able to help you.

One question - the scan isn't clear enough but is the left hand medal oval or round?

I'm pretty sure he is not wearing a Boer War medal and that the white Topee is not worn in Europe. In South Africa they would be unlikely to have worn Full Dress (which is what this photo is). Is photo identified .. I mean the photographer?
mfkirke

Postby AJMac » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:42 am

Thank you for identifying artillery. There is another possibility that it may be Indian Army - the Madras Artillery - perhaps someone can identify it as that?

I will follow up with the museum - thank you.

I believe the left medal is round.

I will check if the photographer is identified and add that information - I guess he/she may not be.
AJMac

Postby mfkirke » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm

The question about the photographer was aiming towards the photo being taken in India. fibis.org might yield a result if you search for the name of the soldier you think it is.
mfkirke

Postby AJMac » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion - I am trying to find out from the person with the original whether it says where it was taken.
AJMac

Postby iain Tidey » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm

Its the Royal Canadian Artillery , The helmet colour and the plate are the give away.
(UK Artillery had blue Helmets) Its taken after 1902 because he has the Queens & Kings South Africa Medals .
iain Tidey

Postby AJMac » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks to the WDYTYA magazine experts we have a solution - Lieutenant in Canadian Militia Artillery with Queen's and King's South Africa medals for his service in the Boer War. This has to be my grandfather.
AJMac

Return to Photo identification