Moderator Control Panel ]

Use of Uppercase on Forums

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Use of Uppercase on Forums

Postby ksouthall » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 am

For people who have difficulty using mixed cases in their posts, here are some tips.

1) Write your post in Word first, then run it through the Spell and Grammar Checker to make sure it is in reasonable English.

2) If you have typed it all in uppercase, you can change it to sentence case by clicking on the Format menu at the top of the screen, select the Change Case option, select the Sentence Case button then click on OK.

3) Cut and paste the message from Word into your new post on the forum.

That might help us all to write clear legible posts and keep pendants like me happy. (Sorry, I am a teacher and it is a bad habit to pick up on typing and spelling mistakes!)

(This is using Word 2003.)
ksouthall

Re: Use of Uppercase on Forums

Postby callbrian » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi Kathryn,
I see where you are coming from. Unfortunately, as I have found when teaching Computer skills to older 'learners', most do not have 'Office suite' on their PC's. They just have a basic notepad or wordpad programme. Also 'cutting and pasting', although it may seem like a basic skill to us, is a difficult skill for some to master.
Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Guy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm

ksouthall wrote:For people who have difficulty using mixed cases in their posts, here are some tips.

1) Write your post in Word first, then run it through the Spell and Grammar Checker to make sure it is in reasonable English.

Thank you four thee suggestion.
Eye half run this threw my spell chequer in Word and am sure eye half maid know mistakes. ;)
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby ksouthall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:05 am

Guy wrote:Thank you four thee suggestion.
Eye half run this threw my spell chequer in Word and am sure eye half maid know mistakes. ;)
Cheers
Guy

Thanks Guy - this made me laugh.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 am

callbrian wrote:Hi Kathryn,
I see where you are coming from. Unfortunately, as I have found when teaching Computer skills to older 'learners', most do not have 'Office suite' on their PC's. They just have a basic notepad or wordpad programme. Also 'cutting and pasting', although it may seem like a basic skill to us, is a difficult skill for some to master.
Regards
Brian

Hello Brian,

Fair point but for those of us youngsters and computer buffs, it should be no problem.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Dawn Poad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm

That might help us all to write clear legible posts and keep pendants like me happy.
I am sorry, I could not resist this, how can you be a pendant?
I have one of them around my neck!
Can I be pedantic and suggest you meant "pedant"?
Dawn Poad

Postby ksouthall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Dawn Poad wrote:That might help us all to write clear legible posts and keep pendants like me happy.
I am sorry, I could not resist this, how can you be a pendant?
I have one of them around my neck!
Can I be pedantic and suggest you meant "pedant"?

Thanks for spotting my deliberate mistake. Just checking how closely people were reading.
ksouthall

Return to Technical help