Moderator Control Panel ]

possible SLADE family - location West Hatch, Somerset?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

possible SLADE family - location West Hatch, Somerset?

Postby wecanbeheroes » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:11 am

This photo has been in my auntie's collection for years [she's in her late 80s] but she has no idea who they are. The back of the original photo has written on it 'taken Christmas time 1905'
My gut feeling - which is largely based on the research I've done so far into the Slade side of my family -leads me to suspect the elderly couple [2nd and 3rd from left] just might be Samuel & Elizabeth Slade [nee Pearce] my G G Grandparents. Samuel was born in West Hatch, Somerset [baptised in 1827] and they married in 1851 in Hatch Beauchamp. Samuel was a gardener/domestic servant.

Does anyone recognise the people in the photo?
Does anyone recognise the house? - I know it's a long shot but you never know :)
Any ideas what flowers would be in bloom so beautifully in December?

A much bigger version of the photo can be seen here http://www.art4artssake.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mystery-pic-c-1905-wdytya.jpg
Thanks for taking time out to look :)
mystery-pic-1905-smllr.jpg
Mystery photo-1905
mystery-pic-1905-smllr.jpg (215.13 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
wecanbeheroes

Re: possible SLADE family - location West Hatch, Somerset?

Postby loiseau22 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 am

It doesn't really look like a winter scene, does it - in spite of what is written on the back?
The people don't appear to be very wrapped up, and there is quite a lot of greenery about.
I wonder if the note about Christmas means that the photo was sent to the recipient at Christmas, but might represent a different period of the year.

The flowers look like phlox to me. Usually out around September.

Angela
loiseau22

Postby Sylcec » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Angela - I was thinking the same thing about the season - all the vegetation is very lush for December in England. The virginia creeper on the house is still in full leaf - either late autumn and early winter 1905 were unusually mild and moist, or the photo was taken at a different time of year and/or place (but the scene looks quintessentially English).
Have you thought that the note written on the back of the photo was not there originally, but was added later by someone else trying to date it as you are now?
Nice pic! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby wecanbeheroes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:56 am

Hello Angela & Sylvia,

Firstly thanks to you both for your valued input. I have always found it hard to believe this photo was taken in December, and since reading your comments I've been Googling phlox images and have to agree that the flowers [including the hard to see foliage beneath the blooms] do indeed resemble phlox. Phlox - flowers mid summer to late autumn. While I was looking at my much larger version of the photo I spotted a few leaves at the bottom of the photo [almost in the centre] that look very much like Nasturtium leaves - I'll attach a close-up section of the part of the photo below. Nasturtium - flowers June - September.

close-up.jpg
close-up.jpg (90 KiB) Viewed 3145 times

I've also noticed that the 2 large trees in the right background [1 of which you can't see as I had cropped it out of the image I posted - to reduce the overall size] are in full leaf - I suppose they could be evergreens but with the 2 types flowers in the photo [and as you mentioned Angela - the clothing being worn] I think it's fairly safe to say that it must have been taken in late summer or early autumn.

I really wish I could find out who the people in the photo are, I love the fact that the older gentleman has a sprig of the flowers [phlox] in his buttonhole - I like to think that the lady to his left [on the right of him from the viewer's point of view] might be his wife and maybe she picked it and placed it there especially for the photo!

Could the older couple be servants having a photo taken with their employers? Or would this have been something of a no-no as far as protocol went?

Once again, thanks for your thoughts :) Jacqui
wecanbeheroes

Postby sladey1985 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 am

hi my name is simon slade born 1985 and if it helps my mums side of the family are from taunton somerset she was born in 1959 and her dad was albert slade not sure on his details though if theres anything you find out anything or need help with anything just email me at sladey2009(at)hotmail dot co dot uk please change the email dots and the (at) sign to the email format as this site wont let me put my propper email address if you get what i mean but id love to know if im anything to do with the family in the pic :-)
sladey1985

Return to Photo identification