Moderator Control Panel ]

Photograph Dating

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Photograph Dating

Postby RuthLoach » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Hello Everyone

I found yet another photo in the mound of paperwork that was given to me by my Mother. Neither she or anyone else in my family knows who this person is or what era it came from so I would be very grateful if anyone could help regarding a time period for it.

Kind Regards

Ruth
Attachments
Unknown family member.jpg
Unknown family member.jpg (245.12 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
RuthLoach

Re: Photograph Dating

Postby snaphappy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Ruth,
Your photograph dates from the 1850-1860 period and I would even shorten this down to have a date sometime between 1853 to 1860. He has a side parting to his hair which has taken its shape due to the hat that he had recently taken off (hence the hair flicking up at the sides). The stock and Joinville is of the period as is the style of waistcoat with its deep front and square cut base. All in all a lovely photograph to have in your collection.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby RuthLoach » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:33 am

Hi There

Thank you so much for your reply. The information you have given is extremely useful and has helped me to possibly identify the person as well. After a bit of detective work on dates and marriages it is very possible that he is my 2nd Great Grandfather Edmund Loach who until recently has been quite a bit of a mystery. I never thought about the connection with his hair and a hat although I did notice that he wasn't wearing a wedding ring which places the picture around the time period you mention and falls in line with the age he appears to be. I am very grateful to you for your help and very happy to have this photo in my possession.

Once again many, many thanks.

Kind Regards

Ruth
RuthLoach

Postby loiseau22 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:56 am

I am not sure you can rely on the absence of a wedding ring to prove he was not married, Ruth.
It's not been a very prevalent tradition in the UK - though coming in a bit more nowadays.

Angela
loiseau22

Postby snaphappy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Also do not forget that the image is shown the wrong way around due to the way it was produced at the time hence no wedding ring showing on his finger.
snaphappy

Postby RuthLoach » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Angela

Thank you for the information. That is a very useful thing to consider and I will bear it in mind for future research.

Kind Regards

Ruth
RuthLoach

Postby RuthLoach » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Snaphappy

I hadn't thought of that, thank you. I do know that it is printed directly onto glass which is fascinating and this has prompted me to look into the history of photography. How exciting!

Kind Regards

Ruth
RuthLoach

Postby loiseau22 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:10 am

snaphappy wrote:Also do not forget that the image is shown the wrong way around ...

Oooh, I hadn't noticed that, Snaphappy! Indeed, the guy's waistcoat is buttoned up "the wrong way round".

Angela
loiseau22

Return to Photo identification