Moderator Control Panel ]

Issue 4

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Issue 4

Postby fred1759 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:40 am

I have just read the query in Issue 4 on page 6 regarding 'Not Cricket', my wifes GT GT Grandfather was a freemason around 1914-1915 and in the only surviving photo we have of him in full regalia we see a very similar medal, so my guess is that it is a Masonic medal, if you know what decade or year it was given and location of the relative at that time you may be able to find a Lodge in that area, if not find your local Lodge and enquire if they can help you, they are very helpful, they helped me and even supplied a photo of our ancester.
Gordon

www.holmesphotographic.com
fred1759

RE: Issue 4

Postby SimonDaw » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:33 am

The medal featured in the magazine is mine, and I have just discovered that my great-Grandfather John Barber (1884-1980) was a freemason, so it is possible that the 'ribbon' part of the medal belonged to him. The 'cricket' part (which is dated 1891) probably doesn't belong to the 'ribbon' part, as has been suggested in the magazine. I would be interested to see a picture of your wife's ancestor's medal.

John Barber lived in East Ham, Essex in his mid twenties, then Wallington, Surrey and in later life at Four Marks, Hampshire. He spent most of his working life on the Thames as a Ships Plater and Surveyor. A couple of bits of information that I have been told are that in his youth he worked on the last wooden-hulled battleship to be built on the Thames and in later life was bought out of retirement to advise on putting the Cutty Sark into dry-dock.

I will have to follow this up and see if I can find out any more information from the Freemasons.

Thanks
Simon
SimonDaw

Return to Magazine chat