Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform Identification

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Uniform Identification

Postby RuthLoach » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Hello Everyone

Does anyone know what this uniform is? My mother recently gave me a mountain of paperwork and photo's and I found this picture amongst them. I have no idea or stories relating to my grandfather being in the military so I would be very grateful if anyone could help me solve a bit of the mystery.

Kind Regards

Ruth Loach
Attachments
Grandad Walter Loach.jpg
Grandad Walter Loach.jpg (159.21 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
RuthLoach

Re: Uniform Identification

Postby phsvm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Firstly, let me say I have no knowledge of uniforms but my immediate reaction to this photo was that it was nautical. Was your grandfather ever involved with an occupation that had anything to do with water, for example, harbour master, customs officer, lock keeper, Port of London employee? I know these all sound very generalised but I wonder if he wasn't necessarily 'military' but more an 'official' who required a uniform?

Of course I'm sure there's someone on the forum who will have much more knowledge of the subject than me but those were just my thoughts.
phsvm

Postby RuthLoach » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Thank you for your reply to my mystery. Since uploading this picture I have spoken to my Mother who says that there was talk of my Grandfather being involved with a boat and that he was known to have been near the Steamboat Inn and Trent Lock Navigation pub in Long Eaton, Nottingham so nautical could be right. She also remembers vaguely that he and the crew stopped off at the pub one day for a beer and came out to find the boat damaged by a bomb, but this is very vague and may well be one of those family stories that have become distorted over the years. However if it is true then another mystery arises as he appears to be about 20 - 25 years old in the picture and would have been living in Birmingham at the time. It wasn't until about 1929 that he moved to Shardlow in Derbyshire then Chilwell and West Bridgford in Nottingham which would have made him 29 years old. I am going to try looking into the nautical side of things and will let you know of any developments. Once again many thanks for your thoughts.
RuthLoach

Postby loiseau22 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:34 am

Well, Birrmingham is the hub of the UK's canal network, Ruth, so it's not unlikely that he might have lived there and yet had a connection with the waterways.

Angela
loiseau22

Postby RuthLoach » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Angela
Thank you for your post it has helped greatly with my research areas. Will keep you posted of any progress.
Kind Regards
Ruth
RuthLoach

Postby Vikingman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Ruth

The young man in the picture is wearing the 'new' standard uniform of the Merchant Navy which was introduced in 1918. The white cap cover (removable for washing) means that the picture was taken in the summer. If he was a M.N. officer he would have had shoulder straps on his overcoat with gold braid stripes indicating his rank. Since these are missing and the man is obviously young, I should think he was a M.N. apprentice, perhaps a senior apprentice. It was necessary to serve at sea for four years as an apprentice before taking the examination for second mate, the first step up the ladder to commanding a ship.

I hope this helps

Richard
Vikingman

Postby RuthLoach » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 am

Hi Richard

Thank you so much for your reply. The information you gave is extremely useful and falls into place perfectly as my Grandfather was born in 1900. Although he didn't continue with this career path it is great to know about this part of his life and with further research I shall be able to give meaning to the photograph for the family book I am writing.

Once again thank you greatly for your input.

Kind Regards

Ruth
RuthLoach

Postby Editor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi Ruth,

I've had a reader write in because we printed your photograph in the magazine in our 'From the Forum' section and he thinks, because of the cap and coat (which he describes as a 'bridge overcoat'), that your grandfather could have been a 'deck officer' in the Merchant Navy. He thinks that white cap covers were worn between May and September and he says the photograph is pre-1920s.

I know you've had a few responses to this photograph already and I haven't repeated all that Frank said because it has been said by others, but I wanted to add his thoughts as he was kind enough to write in. I shall pen him a response to say that I have forwarded his suggestions on to you.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby RuthLoach » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 am

Hi Sarah

Thank you so much for letting me know about this kind gentleman's response. If its possible would you please pass on my gratitude for his contribution.

Kind Regards

Ruth
RuthLoach

Postby bob loach » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Ruth,

I know nothing about uniforms but I have quite a lot information about the Loach family tree and I would be interested in talking to you about Walter Loach 1900.

Bob Loach
bob loach

Return to Photo identification