Moderator Control Panel ]

Tense

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Tense

Postby sarah-b » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 pm

What's is this media craze for putting everything in the present tense? BBC news reporters do it to excess. Now WDYTYA is in on the act.

In WDYTYA for instance the Born-Married-Died section states that so and so is born on a certain date, is married on a certain date or dies on a certain date. These are events that happened in the past and should be given past tense.

It may be correct for giving stage directions in a play but in everyday language it is irritating and unnecessary.

What's wrong with plain and simple was born, was married or died- as recorded in parish records?
Is WDYTYA frightened of offending our sensibilities?

sarah-b
sarah-b

Re: Tense

Postby Past Times » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:19 am

I agree wholeheartedly - it is infuriating and certainly appears to be an Americanism, as I have known them use this form of tense in Mormon Family History centres for well over 20 years!

I can only surmise that is because they do not believe in death, so hence think their ancestors are still "with us", so to speak ? ;)

In my opinion, most programmes on TV are insultingly set to *dumb down* the masses these days and it will be a poor day when the BBC decide to follow suit :roll: :x

Tracy
Quaerentes Semper Familia Generationes
Past Times

Return to Genealogy chat