Moderator Control Panel ]

Baptism records using the FamilySearh beta website

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Baptism records using the FamilySearh beta website

Postby phsvm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:15 pm

I've just got round to trying to use the beta.familysearch.org website as mentioned in the September issue of WDYTYA, page 28, Step-by-step guide.

Step 1 is no problem but Step 2 gives me a different form from the one shown, although similar. When I enter details using the advanced search it seems to ignore most of the information I have supplied and produces completely different information or says 'no matches found'.

I even tried using the example from the magazine but all that produced was a George Smith, son of George and Peggy from Lancashire who was christened in 1829. I tried putting in my own details to see if I could find my baptism but all that produced was a load of records from the 1861 census. I know I'm old but .........!

Am I doing something wrong or have others had the same problems?
phsvm

Re: Baptism records using the FamilySearh beta website

Postby Emmeline » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:16 pm

You are not alone!! I've had problems with it - it either says 'no matches found', even when I know there are results or it throws something totally irrelevant up. I've been using the old site instead but that probably won't be there for much longer.

Glad it's not just me :oops:
Emmeline

Postby phsvm » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Emmeline - can you give the details for the old site please. I haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks.
phsvm

Postby Emmeline » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:18 am

phsvm wrote:Emmeline - can you give the details for the old site please. I haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks.

Hi - the one I've been using is http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

I don't think it'll be around for much longer but I've found it more reliable than the new one which, once they've sorted any glitches, should be great.
Emmeline

Postby Sylcec » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:19 am

What was the beta site is now the main search site! https://www.familysearch.org/ but there is a link on the right hand side to the 'previous version of familysearch.org' which opens in http://www.familysearch.org/eng/.

I think it depends on how you have your home page set or how you access FamilySearch, which site you come up with.
Happy searching in 2011! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby bryn394 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 pm

I seem to be in the minority with the new site, because the few times that I have used there haven't been any problems. Spent some time on it earlier in the evening; it is better & quicker than the old one. I did have some very early on, but that was just that it was very, very slow to load. Gave up on it several times.
Regards, B
bryn394
bryn394

Postby bandit » Sat May 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi - I for one am probably a bit of a stick in the mud and I prefer the old Family Search site. I do find it hard to find sometimes but I persevere. Whilst I do enjoy looking on there and have a few windfalls , I do always double check the material somewhere else for accuracy. In my early searching days (pre computer) I used the Church of the Latter Day Saints and they were extremly helpful. I have also used them recently and witnessed one of their members putting a clients details on their database. Whilst I was not privy to knowing if they had used actual BMD certificates to enter the information , it kind of unerved me .I have seen records on the site that are not accurate and I wonder if this is because infomation is entered without a factual base?

The saying to bere in mind is "buyer beware"- always double check your details wherever they come from unless you have the certitifcates.

kindest regards

Bandit
bandit

Postby Sylcec » Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 am

Hi Bandit
Please do have another look at the new FamilySearch website.

New material is being continually uploaded to it, and this material is not duplicated on the old site. Additionally the search methodology and filters are also being modified and refined in response to problems identified earlier.

FamilySearch is one of those sites where, if you use the front page search function, it is best to turn on the advanced search and add extra information before hitting search. However, if you get far too many irrelevant hits, then use the filters on the left of the page to weed some out.

The site also provides the ability to search within a specific dataset. So, if you have an interest in a particular area of the world (or country), you can scroll down a bit to 'browse' and click on the area of interest, then select a dataset within which to search. I tend to use the "Asia and Middle East" as a short cut to accessing the India Office baptism, marriage and burial records. (Note that these are NOT a complete listing from the source).

Editor - how about commissioning an article for a forthcoming edition of WDYTYA magazine on using the new FamilySearch website?
best wishes
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Annie08 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi
Over the past couple of days I've been using the new site, and although I found it a 'pain' to start with, I'm now actually finding it a lot easier to manage and locate my ancestors, and have used it to go back several generations. I've also found it's easier to print off pages I want to keep and custom the batch numbers to my needs. I'd certainly recommend this version to the old one.

Annie08
Annie08

Return to Genealogy chat