Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth registered twice

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Birth registered twice

Postby carolibinson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi. Can anyone explain why a birth would be registered with twice in the same quarter with 2 different surnames. Mothers maiden name is same on both entries. Volume number the same and page number the same but been altered on 1 copy. Page no also followed by a small letter s. Thanks
carolibinson

Re: Birth registered twice

Postby pre1837 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:54 pm

I have found a person's birth registered twice 2 quarters apart with same details. In between I found the parent's marriage registration. Perhaps this might fit you case. (My case was ONLY 7 years ago!)
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby paulberyl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:30 pm

A possible reason is that the child was born out of wedlock and the original birth was registered in the mother's maiden name. If the child's parents then married the birth could have been re-registered in the father's name, with the re-registered entry being recorded in the original year and quarter, notwithstanding that the re-registration may have been made a number of years after the date of the original registration.

Alternatively it could be that the original entry was incorrect (sometimes happened when the registrar made a mistake and the parents, if illiterate, did not identify the error) and the entry was subsequently corrected.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby ErIndoorz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:01 am

Hi
I have just discovered today that my birth has been registered twice in 2 different names

I know that my parents changed their names before I was born but it would seem I have been registered twice
Would this mean I could have another birth certificate?

I'd be made up to know I have a birth certificate with my fathers actual name on it and registered as that
ErIndoorz

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:10 am

If there are two birth registrations then there will be two certificates, and there should be different info on the second registration which caused the birth to be registered again. You could try asking the GRO to check if your Father is mentioned on the second certificate before committing to purchase. Personally I would just go ahead and purchase if it was my own birth certificate.
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:07 am

Um. There are others with the relevant professional experience but...

You need to understand whether this is one certificate with 2 index entries or a registration followed by a later re-registration.

The former happens where the parents were not married, and the father's name is present. Then the child may be indexed under both names.

The latter happens only to add a father's name previously omitted or to effectively legitimise the child after the marriage of the parents. I think that the default in this case is that the GRO issue only the last certificate BUT if you specify the original reference and say that you want the original, then they will issue the first. But you have to ask.

I'm doing this from my notes so if I got it wrong, my apologies.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:56 pm

ErIndoorz wrote:Hi
I have just discovered today that my birth has been registered twice in 2 different names

I know that my parents changed their names before I was born but it would seem I have been registered twice
Would this mean I could have another birth certificate?

I'd be made up to know I have a birth certificate with my fathers actual name on it and registered as that

Did your parents marry between the two registrations ?

If yes, then the second one will be a re-registration to legitimise your birth, if not it will be that the birth was first registered in your mother's name only and re-registered to add your father's name later.
AntonyM

Postby peter kent » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Page no also followed by a small letter s

It's very hard to give a helpful reply without full information about the entries. "S" usually refers to a supplementary registration amending the original entry in some way. The commonest reasons are adoption, addition of names in column 10 or changes to columns 4 and 6.
peter kent

Return to General research queries