Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish Ancestors

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish Ancestors

Postby Alistair Cochran » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45 pm

My Mother has been researching her family for several years but has reached a dead end with a branch of her family that came from Lurgan. Our understanding is that there are no records due to a fire.

He great grandfather, George Wilson Beattie, was born about 1826 in Lurgan and came to Northampton to join the Police. In the 1861 Census he is shown with his wife Sarah (nee Turkington also of Lurgan) and family but there is no record of him prior to this date.

We have tried a couple of avenues in Lurgan to do some research without success, and wonder whether you can offer any suggestions.

Alistair Cochran
Alistair Cochran

Re: Irish Ancestors

Postby meekhcs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:29 pm

HAve you tried police records? Or may I suggest you email Bill Macafee at w.macafee@btinternet.com he is based in Ireland and even if he cannot help you directly may be able to suggest other avenues to you. He has a website www.billmacafee.com which may also be worth a look.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby cfletcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:42 am

I think we are related. My grandfather was Henry Musk Beattie. I was also looking up George W which is how I came across your message. I would be interested if you find any more details. I noticed Turkingtons and Beatties in Victoria St, Lurgan but that may be a different family. Claire Fletcher (Beattie)
cfletcher

Postby HelenBT » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:14 am

Hello we are definitely related George was my great great grandfather. My grandfather was Brian Beattie and my deceased great uncle was David Musk Beattie. My father immigrated to Australia when he was 19 but I have contacted my half aunt who has been researching the Beattie family tree for some time, once she emails me back I will be able to provide further information on our family from Lurgen.
HelenBT

Return to General research queries