Moderator Control Panel ]

Spam advertising messages on the forum

Spotted an advert or what you think is an automated message? Let the magazine team know here

Spam advertising messages on the forum

Postby debsstock » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello Matt (I tried sending this as a Private Message, but that doesn't seem to be working - it just sat in my outbox)

I'm hoping that you've noticed that some spam advertising messages have been posted on several of the forum topic boards recently - most noticeably by someone called wholesalegolf. Guess what THEY are advertising. The messages are just tagged onto the end of some real discussion topic.

It's not a big problem of course - forum members can just ignore these messages - but they clearly have nothing to do with genealogy, and this particular "member" is not posting anything relevant, so is it possible for you to deny them access, or take the messages down?

It might also be helpful, as on other forums and networking sites, to have some method for members to flag up messages as offensive or inappropriate. Perhaps the tech people could look into this?

Regards
Deborah
debsstock

Re: Spam advestising messages on the forum - attn Matt Elton!

Postby Matt Elton » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Deborah,

Thanks very much for your message! I know spam adverts like this can be really annoying, and we're looking at more permanent ways to make sure they don't get through to the forum. In the meantime, though, I'll go through and delete the posts you mention – and if you or any other users spot similar messages, please send me an email at mattelton@bbcmagazines.com and I'll delete them as soon as I can.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Spam advestising messages on the forum - attn Matt Elton!

Postby debsstock » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks Matt
debsstock

Re: Spam advertising messages on the forum

Postby ksouthall » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:54 am

debsstock wrote:It might also be helpful, as on other forums and networking sites, to have some method for members to flag up messages as offensive or inappropriate. Perhaps the tech people could look into this?

Regards
Deborah

Hello Deborah,

It is already possible to report posts by clicking on the Exclamation Mark icon next to the "Quote" button on each post. This facility has existed for some time now but may not be obvious to everyone.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Editor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:18 pm

By the way, personal messages stay sitting in your inbox until the recipient has opened them. It doesn't mean they haven't gone, it just means that they haven't been opened. I know it is a bit confusing because it isn't like email but at least you know if your message has been read or not!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby debsstock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Katherine and Sarah

Thank-you both for the information!

Regards
Deborah
debsstock

Return to Spam messages